Saturday opener was approved - Page 30 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We talked at camp about having two openers. Everyone from camp hunt public land next door on Saturday, maybe do some drives. Monday have opener on private camp property. Of course there might be more hunters on the game lands and would be better to stay on camp land on Saturday. To much hunting ,so little time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
we talked at camp about having two openers. Everyone from camp hunt public land next door on saturday, maybe do some drives. Monday have opener on private camp property. Of course there might be more hunters on the game lands and would be better to stay on camp land on saturday. To much hunting ,so little time!

way to make the best of the situation!
Better place likes this.
post #293 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
I forget which of these threads it was on but I like the hunter that said "I'll go up to camp Friday, hunt Saturday, trout fish on Sunday and hunt again on Monday. It'll be my new tradition." I have no idea if he was for or against the change but regardless he realizes it's not the end of the world or "murdering tradition" or whatever hyperbole some people drummed up.

I also think too that if Sunday hunting becomes a reality that the camps will see some new life and a boost in enthusiasm. I think some of the local economies will see an uptick too and for more than one or two weekends. Look I get the added logistics pressure of the quicker turn around from Thanksgiving to Opening Day. It's definitely going to be an adjustment but I think after a couple years, and with Sunday hunting, most hunters are going to actually enjoy the change.
I agree, SH is the best thing that could happen for the camp culture and rural economies that benefit. Sunday hunting is the only way I'll look into buying a camp. It's a lifelong dream of mine, and financially still looking at about a decade down the road, but without SH it makes little sense. I have plenty of hunting around home, but just something about owning a camp.

I figure about 1-2 hours is the sweet spot distance wise. With SH I'd make that drive dozens of weekends a year in turkey season, archery season, rifle, flintlock. Family stuff all through the year. I can't fathom owning a camp and using it a few weekends a year. But for the hunting trips, it just doesn't make sense to do weekend trips and not be able to get a Sunday morning hunt in.

I'd shop local, eat local. Buy my construction supplies local. Etc, etc. Invite friends and family from downstate and out of state. The camps are looking at a big generational turnover. I doubt many of my fellow millenials own camps at this point but a decade from now it's going to rise up my priority list. But none of that is happening without SH passing first.
RyanR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #294 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
I agree, SH is the best thing that could happen for the camp culture and rural economies that benefit. Sunday hunting is the only way I'll look into buying a camp. It's a lifelong dream of mine, and financially still looking at about a decade down the road, but without SH it makes little sense. I have plenty of hunting around home, but just something about owning a camp.

I figure about 1-2 hours is the sweet spot distance wise. With SH I'd make that drive dozens of weekends a year in turkey season, archery season, rifle, flintlock. Family stuff all through the year. I can't fathom owning a camp and using it a few weekends a year. But for the hunting trips, it just doesn't make sense to do weekend trips and not be able to get a Sunday morning hunt in.

I'd shop local, eat local. Buy my construction supplies local. Etc, etc. Invite friends and family from downstate and out of state. The camps are looking at a big generational turnover. I doubt many of my fellow millenials own camps at this point but a decade from now it's going to rise up my priority list. But none of that is happening without SH passing first.
Off topic here, but I agree with you that you don't want to travel any farther than 2 hrs. Our camp is exactly 2 hrs away. That is close enough I can go for a day hunt if I want to. I have hunted Saturday in PA and then drive down that night to hunt Sunday. Since our camp is in OH Sunday hunting is a reality. I agree that it makes a big difference in your weekend when going to camp if you can hunt both days. Sometimes we don't even hunt all day Sunday, but sure nice to hunt part of the day.

Not sure where you live, but I would suggest that you may want to consider an out-of-state camp if you can keep the distance close or close enough where you could hunt across the state line from it. Different season timings and sometimes longer seasons can make for even more opportunity. Not to mention if you tag out in PA in the beginning of archery, it gives you an opportunity to still pursue another buck.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #295 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM
New Arrival

It opens i saturday i will hunt saturday. But i still wish they would have left it go. Guess i don't like changes as much as some. But since they opened saturday now they might as well open sundays too
post #296 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1poorshot View Post
It opens i saturday i will hunt saturday. But i still wish they would have left it go. Guess i don't like changes as much as some. But since they opened saturday now they might as well open sundays too
Sunday hunting is coming in the future but for now we have to accept what we get. I'm retired so it doesn't make much difference to me now but I am happy for those that can now finally be involved in the opener.
I remember years ago part-taking in ''the tradition''. I as well as every one I hunted with were excited and hopeful in filling our tags.
Over the years less and less could show up for the opener because they either couldn't get off from work or they had school and yet they had paid the full price for their licenses and tags as the rest of us but had fewer opportunity to use them.
I read and hear all the hem hawing about tradition, well be flexible and inventive, start another tradition. Keep pushing for Sunday hunting and for those who do not want to hunt on Sundays, go to church.

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford
post #297 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
If this doesn't kick in until 21/22 as was posted here yesterday, we still have time to inundate the BOC with letters to rescind this stupidity!
LOL, no. Get over it dude.
jk6140 and RyanR like this.
post #298 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:07 PM

i see more permits in the future. $20 to hunt big game with a SA rifle. $20 to hunt deer with an inline in the late season.

I will buy both of those !!
dragman, Tater86 and Waynzee like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #299 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 02:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i see more permits in the future. $20 to hunt big game with a SA rifle. $20 to hunt deer with an inline in the late season.

I will buy both of those !!
LOL me too.
bohunr and Tater86 like this.
post #300 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:57 PM
The Man

I think this change will be embraced even by the naysayers over time.I,d betcha a beer at the Boars Nest if it was reversed(Starting a Monday opener over a traditional Sat.opener) there would be blood curdling screams about losing a Sat opener.
Tony300wby likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page