Saturday opener was approved - Page 26 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
This is a bit dramatic, dare I say Drama Queen. If I met up with Cscott or WW or pchunter or (insert anyone else who really hates this decision) in a few weeks, I would buy each of them a round or two of drinks and we could hit the woods for spring gobbler in the morning.

I look at some of the back and forth between hunters kinda like a sibling thing....we can fight about stupid crap amongst ourselves, but as soon as an outsider has something to say, we are shoulder to shoulder, ready to rumble together.
Your probably not far from me seeing your from SC PA. I would have a drink with you. Easier to discuss in person anyway than some forum. Words on a forum are sometimes hard to read into and can be taken out of context.
bohunr and OAWC like this.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter1231 View Post
Your probably not far from me seeing your from SC PA. I would have a drink with you. Easier to discuss in person anyway than some forum. Words on a forum are sometimes hard to read into and can be taken out of context.
Not far at all. I grew up in Ship, now live in Chambersburg with a camp in Juniata County....so I'm definitely close to you. If we ever cross paths, I will buy the first couple.
post #253 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Better get to your spots extra early now for the opener. With so many college kids going to buy a license now there will not be room to park at the State Game lands or State forest parking lots.
The GC. will inflate these numbers also to save face.
pchunter1231 likes this.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

So, here's how I approach this at our camp: Last year, we were talking about switching camp to the second week so some guys could hunt doe. So, we were thinking about missing the Monday opener anyway. We would make the opening Saturday into a weekend, like trout, turkey or archery. Then treat the second week like the traditional camp.

Only thing is, when can we shoot a bear? Will the concurrent bear/deer season start on Saturday or Monday? Our camp has taken 4 bears. One in bear season and 3 in "buck" season.
post #255 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822 View Post
This is the attitude that irks me with this decision.

If it isnt a big deal to miss the opener then why did it have to be moved?

Again, I dont care. I have seem a lot of poor sport attitudes out of people that came out on the end of this decision that they wanted.
Seems the goal was to add a Saturday to rifle when the target demographic was likely off and able to hunt. That Saturday happened to be 2 days prior to the typical opener.

Sorry if the “attitude” irks you.
Look upon it as a reflection of what those opposed have been spouting off with scorn at those supporting the change.

My comments are not intended to annoy, but rather point out the flaws in thinking, denial, and hypocrisy that’s been so abundant in these threads.

Let’s face it. Times change. People need to adapt. Some have had to adapt for the last 55 years. If you weren’t part of that group, count your blessings, mourn your “loss” and move on.
Mussgrass likes this.
post #256 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Please, let's be honest about attitudes from both sides of this discussion.

Before the change, several folks from the Monday crowd were more than happy to say "If you are not willing to prioritize your schedule to make the Monday opener, just wait till the first Saturday."

Just putting it out there that there are poor sport attitudes on both sides.
To be honest i think the folks that were for the change started the argument well if you cant hunt the Saturday opener no one is forcing you to hunt Saturday so hunt Monday instead. The phrase highlighted above is more of a rebuttal than anything. The attitudes on both sides of the issue has divided us as sportsman. I am guilty of it as well i will not deny that. Guys were mad at other changes that have been made over the last 15 years but this change is bigger than those other changes. This change benefits some but will also take away from others. What we don't know is the unknown of what some of these changes will actually have in years to come. We always have a 20% hunter loss and 20% hunter gain almost every year. Lets be honest americans are rebellious and resentful towards changes that they don't like. This year will be interesting to see what really happens with license sales. Will guys just quit like they did when HR and AR were implemented, will more guys buy a license? Questions we dont know at this point. As much as i hate some of the changes I will at least give those changes a chance like i have with other changes no matter how much i like or dislike them. To control CWD doe allocations have been raised DMAP tags will sure to be increased so basically it is looking more like HR all over again. The more deer that are taken out for CWD the less deer there will be out there. If guys are not seeing anything they will quit. Some WMU have a high deer herd while others do not. CWD is a scary thing and needs to be controlled but its here and never going away.
bigguy54 likes this.

4B
post #257 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Not far at all. I grew up in Ship, now live in Chambersburg with a camp in Juniata County....so I'm definitely close to you. If we ever cross paths, I will buy the first couple.
Im only 10 minutes away from Juniata county. Heck we may have crossed paths at some point. I know quite a few guys in Juniata county and my inlaws used to live in Thompson town.

4B
post #258 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
To be honest i think the folks that were for the change started the argument well if you cant hunt the Saturday opener no one is forcing you to hunt Saturday so hunt Monday instead. The phrase highlighted above is more of a rebuttal than anything.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one. The quote was used long before any Saturday supporter told a traditionalist to just wait until Monday if the Saturday opener is approved.

Quote:
To control CWD doe allocations have been raised DMAP tags will sure to be increased so basically it is looking more like HR all over again. The more deer that are taken out for CWD the less deer there will be out there. If guys are not seeing anything they will quit. Some WMU have a high deer herd while others do not. CWD is a scary thing and needs to be controlled but its here and never going away.
I'm still a bit skeptical about how scary CWD actually is. It's been out west for decades now....and the introduced Canadian wolves are more of a threat to the cervid herds than is CWD years and years later. The balance between disease control and hunter satisfaction will be a tough one for the PGC moving forward.
post #259 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Well, the Saturday opener has been approved....my life is over now...

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #260 of 333 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
To be honest i think the folks that were for the change started the argument well if you cant hunt the Saturday opener no one is forcing you to hunt Saturday so hunt Monday instead. .
Before I address this, let me say I was neutral on the Saturday opener. I think it would make way more sense with Sunday hunting. Maybe that is the whole idea of this in the first place. That being said:

You'd be wrong. I've been hearing "if you want to hunt you'll find a way to prioritize" for years when the topic of Sunday hunting comes up. I would mention it would give my kid a full day to hunt on the weekend because half of Saturday was spent up with fall sports. I was repeatedly told my then 10 year old kid didn't have his priorities straight if he chose to play football and too bad for him. Lots of "In my day (insert old fogy colloquialism here) Many of these people were the same people who complained about the mentor youth program or railed against the semi auto inclusion for big game (I never needed a semi auto to hunt with, neither do you). I realize that doesn't necessarily equate to the Saturday opener but there is a parallel. Now the shoe is on the other foot and those people are finding out crow doesn't taste all that good. I'm not trying to spike the ball in anyone's face here. I'm just pointing out my observations. My tradition has always been to hunt deer every year with as much of my family and friends as I can. Over the years it waned to just my uncle and I until my son started hunting with us. Last year we were 4 strong when my nephew was able to rejoin us for the first time in 4 or 5 years. My son and I have a deal. He can miss 3 days of school for either bear season or deer season provided he has at least a B average and he hasn't missed any school leading up to it. He chooses bear season because he likes hunting with the crew and doing drives, etc. We would hunt the Monday opener then shut down camp and head home Monday night. Now we get 2 days to hunt and I think that's a pretty good thing.
JasonN, tdd, whil e kioti and 2 others like this.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page