Spotting - Time to Outlaw? - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 223Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 PM
The Man

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
....... Love watching the Maine Game Wardens how they enforce a great law........

...they have a PRIME TIME TV show.....Pennsylvania Game Wardens do not...could you imagine if they did..people would cry even more than they do now about getting busted. You know what...they should have a show...to see all the -- they put up with from law breakers ...
bigguy54 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Spotlighting is tradition though. Lots of people would do it on Friday and Saturday evening before the traditional Monday opener. Many consider it to be a camp tradition.

I agree that it is a tradition. Back in the 70's we would go down in the DWGNRA shining fields looking to see where the bucks were that way we figured out what drives to do right away the next day.

Ahhh but time changes things... DWGNRA banned spotlighting in the recreation area a few years ago,our kids are all grown up and moved out of the area and we have plenty of land to hunt without spotting it because we know what bucks are there.

Ya know instead of chatting about whether or not to ban spotlighting we should be concentrating on how to promote our sport and stop the anti's.
post #43 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
I agree that it is a tradition. Back in the 70's we would go down in the DWGNRA shining fields looking to see where the bucks were that way we figured out what drives to do right away the next day.

Ahhh but time changes things... DWGNRA banned spotlighting in the recreation area a few years ago,our kids are all grown up and moved out of the area and we have plenty of land to hunt without spotting it because we know what bucks are there.

Ya know instead of chatting about whether or not to ban spotlighting we should be concentrating on how to promote our sport and stop the anti's.

Showing the kids there are deer where everyone says there are no deer is one way to help promote the sport. Some say that spotlighting deer bothers the deer. Never really seen that as they usually show up night after night.

I agree work at stopping those that hate our sport and stop trying to tell fellow hunters to only hunt/ scout the way you want to do it. ( not at you Casey just adding my 2cents to your post) Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Waugh!
jimbridger likes this.

Last edited by casey; 04-03-2019 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in Waugh. LOL
post #45 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Warrior View Post
I haven't spotted in years. Why spot where you can't hunt? Trail cameras have elimated my need to spot.
This^^^ mostly why i don't do it as much anymore.
I will sometimes when the rut is coming on take a ride with the light to see if any chasing or any rut activity is happening.
post #46 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I haven't spotlighted in years, but one of my son's still spotlights on occasion. Probably the only reason I would be in favor of keeping it would be to take my grandkids when they get a little older.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #47 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 PM

I never thought Of spotting as having anything to do with my hunting. Just liked seeing deer. Used to leave camp in tionesta and take bets on how many we would see. Still take the kids a few time a year around home. I know non-hunters who do it too.
post #48 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
My property gets spotlighted often. I don't mind a bit. I don't think the deer mind either. Inexpensive fun for folks and it hurts no one.
Wainzoid, DennyF, R. S. B. and 8 others like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #49 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin Dave View Post
My property gets spotlighted often. I don't mind a bit. I don't think the deer mind either. Inexpensive fun for folks and it hurts no one.
If they stop for more than 5-10 seconds, I grab my binocs because I know it is probably a decent buck out.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #50 of 154 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
I would vote to ban trail cams and food plots long before attempting to ban shining a light looking for game. Waugh!
What on earth is wrong with a food plot???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page