How things get done - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

How things get done

I saw the Governor of Maine signed legislation to allow the Department of inland fisheries and wildlife to extend ice fishing in northern Maine from end of March to 21 April. Wicked cold up there this year.
In PA this would have taken 4 years of legiscritter time and 6 years of discussion and crying on HPA. Should we include Sunday’s?, Should we have a Seniors day?, Should we have a mentored kids day? What about tradition? We always had a chicken fry on the traditional last day, Oh my what shall we do? What rigs shall we allow. Wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.
Yea I know this is a hunting thread, just pointing out how things go in PA.

Last edited by Grouse28; 03-26-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse28 View Post
I saw the Governor of Maine signed legislation to allow the Department of inland fisheries and wildlife to extend ice fishing in northern Maine from end of March to 21 April. Wicked cold up there this year.
In PA this would have taken 4 years of legiscritter time and 6 years of discussion and crying on HPA. Should we include Sunday’s?, Should we have a Seniors day?, Should we have a mentored kids day? What about tradition? We always had a chicken fry on the traditional last day, Oh my what shall we do? What rigs shall we allow. Wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM
The Man

Lets be thankful we don't have an ice problem like that down here. Could you picture ice fishing for trout on the opener.

Considering how big ice fishing is up there I can understand why he did it. But you are right it would take years to get it done down here and the ice would have melted by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Extend ice fishing? I thought, if there is ice, you ice fished. If not, you break out the rod and reel. What am I missing here?

Suburban redneck.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:40 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post
Extend ice fishing? I thought, if there is ice, you ice fished. If not, you break out the rod and reel. What am I missing here?

I had the same thought. Maybe it means they have to get their shacks off the ice by then. Up their some guys leave the huts out all winter. Like camps.
jimbridger likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25 View Post

Maine has some strange laws compared to what were use to. I imagine there is a law that governs ice fishing dates.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Maine’s fishing laws are a little complicated.

It’s unlawful to “open water fish” while standing on ice, and unlawful to fish thru a man-made hole in the ice outside of ice fishing season.

Had they not extended the ice fishing season, folks wouldn’t have been able to fish most locations at all unless from a boat.

And yes, it buys some extra time to remove their huts as well.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Well truth be told Pa was quick to extend antlerless seasons in the past when needed. Nice gesture by the Maine Gov. I also noticed they don't hunt on Sundays up there. Just saying. Waugh!
Buckskin Dave likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
Well truth be told Pa was quick to extend antlerless seasons in the past when needed. Nice gesture by the Maine Gov. I also noticed they don't hunt on Sundays up there. Just saying. Waugh!
Nope, no Sunday. Rifle deer season starts either the last Saturday in October , or first Saturday in November for residents, out of stater have to wait until Monday. Which means the rifle guys , bows also legal, get to hunt the rut. Season runs for 4 weeks, and spikes at lease 3 inches long are legal also.
jimbridger and Buckskin Dave like this.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I was up visiting my brother in Maine last week and we did lots of ice fishing and sledding.

3 1/2 foot of ice we drilled through and he still has 7 foot of snow.

Really had a great time.

Ahhhhh God's country.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page