Yes to semi auto's - Page 18 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #171 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
I'd be okay with a 10 round limit for my SA I already have a few anyway. Even if I could use a 30 round mag. I'd probably use a 10 round because where I hunt I'm only going to get 2 good shots anyway.
Are there any good 5 round mags made for an AR? I haven't been looking for any so I don't know.

i believe the smallest is a 10 round as it barely sticks out the bottom of the mag well. magpul makes a magazine limiter. it goes inside the magazine and reduces the capacity by 5 rounds. place one inside a 10 round mag and its now a 5 round mag.

https://www.magpul.com/products/minu...g-ar-m4-gen-m3

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
Are there any good 5 round mags made for an AR? I haven't been looking for any so I don't know.
None that I've found...
Most reliable I've found to date are 10 round magpuls with the -5 insert... and even those are finicky... takes some filing to make them actually hold 5 and function reliably, and one or two passes too many, and it's now a 6 round mag...
Hence my recommendation for a 10 round limit... Plenty of off-the-shelf options, and visually identical to a 5 round mag (flush to the magwell, they can't make mags any shorter.)
Waynzee likes this.
post #173 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Of course, all of this is conjecture at best for at least one more year....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:21 AM
Part of the Community

You guys were talking about being able to reduce recoil in the sa, well a good friend of mine invented a buffer that does that. It help with muzzle climb. And for the price, well you could never do that to a bolt gun near the cost. Here is a link to his buffer on gunbroker. It is new to the market.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803960704
bohunr likes this.
post #175 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A few years ago I bought two 5rd and two 10rd mags from cheaper than dirt for my AR 47... I believe they are asc...they are the same in size and work well in my AR.

BTW...my AR has a standard lower and doesn't accept AK mags.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Last edited by whil e kioti; 03-18-2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added comment
post #176 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
None that I've found...
Most reliable I've found to date are 10 round magpuls with the -5 insert... and even those are finicky... takes some filing to make them actually hold 5 and function reliably, and one or two passes too many, and it's now a 6 round mag...
Hence my recommendation for a 10 round limit... Plenty of off-the-shelf options, and visually identical to a 5 round mag (flush to the magwell, they can't make mags any shorter.)
Yeah I've taken the bottom off my 10 round, dropped the spring out and thought of putting a wood plug in there and I'm not so certain it would work. I think you'd have lots of FTF with a plug.
I think until somebody makes a reliable 5 round for the AR15 - 10 round magpuls are the way to go for hunting.
bohunr likes this.
post #177 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

They make California compliant ones that are 30 round dimensions and only allow 10 to be installed. I am sure it would not take much to do the same thing for 5 rounds.

Last edited by JMackanick; 03-18-2019 at 02:14 PM.
post #178 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMackanick View Post
The make California compliant ones that are 30 round dimensions and only allow 10 to be installed. I am sure it would not take much to do the same thing for 5 rounds.
While it's technically possible, there's been very few commercial attempts thus far, as there has been no commercial demand (no other states have such a low limit, supply/demand, and there's no demand currently.)

The other concern is that there is no visual means of discerning between a 5 and 10 round AR platform magazine, as they both are outwardly identical in appearance and dimension. (Which is already the minimum functional magazine length.)
In order to very capacity, one must physically unload/load the magazine. This would make enforcement/verification a rather intrusive process for hunters and wardens alike.
bohunr, whil e kioti and Waynzee like this.
post #179 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Gunner View Post
Stay in Maryland and quit whining.
Kiss off!! No whinnying about my post but a fact. I could care less about semi's don't own one.
Kiss off? No thanks
post #180 of 198 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:30 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Ok. I've pm'ed involved parties. Plural.

Be done now, or thread goes away and whoever can't keep it in check gets a vacation from HPA. All expenses paid.

Last time I'm warning any of you. Period.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page