Saturday Opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Saturday Opener

Looks like the Sat Opener is on the agenda. Opening day of rifle is Nov 30.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/InformationRe...y%20Agenda.pdf

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 PM
The Man

As is early bear for archery and muzzleloader combined Oct. 19 - 26. And special firearms Oct. 24 - 26.
post #3 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:51 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

We were actually talking about going up the second week, for the first time ever, next year. We can shoot buck or doe then. So, the opener wouldn’t make much difference. We’d probably treat the opener like any other opening weekend. Go up Friday and hunt Saturday. Like it’s the archery opener. Then head up the next Saturday for camp.

The only thing we would miss was that bear wouldn’t be open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Sage

At least one archery org doesn't like the idea of a longer archery bear season being shared with two firearms early doe seasons. While they wanted a bit longer archery bear opportunity, not exactly what they had in mind.

I can do a Saturday deer opener, if that's what this bunch decides on, because I'm retired. It will rile some, make some happy and the rest will just do whatever is needed to be there - IF they can do it?

Ain't gonna do a thing for those that have to work Saturdays and kids that have sports commitments on Saturdays.

Where I live, the youth soccer fields are busy on Saturdays; youth football does some Saturdays and some Sundays. Most of the HS football is now on Friday nights, but not all of them. No idea when HS soccer is played, probably weeknights?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 PM
The Man

I like the idea of hunting bear and doe with an inline rifle in October, or bear, buck and doe if I carry my bow. Might actually get an antlerless tag for upstate for that week!

The Saturday opener will work for me, but I don't see it as a recruiting tool. Not sure how adding 1 day will make that much of a difference?
Tony300wby likes this.

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #6 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage

Bear, Muzzleloader Oct. 19-Oct. 26

Was happy they worked that into Agenda!! That's the week I normally see bear!! lol

They do consider our requests guys!!
Tony300wby likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
Where I live, the youth soccer fields are busy on Saturdays; youth football does some Saturdays and some Sundays. Most of the HS football is now on Friday nights, but not all of them. No idea when HS soccer is played, probably weeknights?
High school football season is over unless the team makes it deep into the playoffs. Most youth football leagues are wrapped up by then as well - this year was an exception for our league, but that was due to the playoffs being held at a field that swamps with a decent rain.

High school basketball practice often affects the existing opening day...I had to head out of the woods after lunch on Monday a few times for practice. Not sure if HS b-ball coaches have Saturday practices that weekend.

Not a soccer guy, but I’m guessing that only the serious travel teams would still be playing that late in the fall...not sure if they would have tournaments on the holiday weekend.

Fall baseball/softball is wrapped up by then as well, unless the team has a indoor practice facility.
post #8 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM

They can start the opener any day of the week and its not going to matter. I hope they don't have the opener on Saturday. Saturday opener for bear didnt get the participation they anticipated so what makes you think this will. Saturday after Thanksgiving is probably the worst day to have the opener. People have family up, kids in travel soccer have indoor soccer games and the list can go on and on. Most guys are taking the second week off because you can shoot both doe and buck. Most WMU's is buck only the first week so a Saturday opener will not make a difference. The PGC have shot themselves in the foot to many times over the years with changes and this would be another one. You might find a Saturday opener will have less participation than the normal Monday opener. I just shake my head everytime a new change is proposed. Everything else they have tried hasnt worked for participation and over half the hunters oppose it anyway.

4B
post #9 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I know I have said this before, but if you look at the dates this is adding a full day of hunting to the rifle season. That is correct that it goes from a 12 day to a 13 day season. Rifle only hunters have complained that they have gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to additional opportunity. This proposal changes that. It adds opportunity.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM

Yeah you say that every time a Saturday opener is discussed. I personally think 2 weeks is long enough and you will never hear me complain that rifle hunters need more days. I hunt all seasons with the weapons you are allowed to use. Maybe add the Saturday after the last day might be better but there is so much going on around Thanksgiving and yes i dare say traditions most hunters have leading up to the Monday opener. A Saturday opener might benefit a few but not enough to put license sales and participation through the roof. Everyone i have talked to but my dad are really ticked about this proposal. I will still hunt it either way just my plans will have to be cut short like it will be for most.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page