Saturday Opener - Page 25 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 301Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM
tdd
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Berks County, PA
Posts: 7,112
Back To Top
How many on here are in college?

I'm guessing it's not a large population.

Jump on facebook groups for hunting/hunting in PA and you'll find a lot more in younger age brackets. I'm in those groups, and there is a definite shift in ages, it seems. Hard to know for sure, but that's the impression I get. It's actually fairly clear in the social media circles, but it's less so here...that's what makes the comparison challenging.

As a parent of a soon-to-be college student, I can tell you with 100% certainty that is a concern of hers. I told her she may very well hunt less in those years of her life, depending on where she goes, etc. Or she might hunt more.....it's just not possible to know until she's in it and we start to figure it out. But her worry is...her exact words... "what if I can't hunt and then don't ever come back to it?"

Now....the fact she asks the question means there's a good chance I'll be able to keep her involved. If she was good with dropping it from her life, she wouldn't be concerned.

But she is, and that gives me some hope.

That said, I simply said to her "hey, they're thinking of making the rifle opening day on Saturday instead of Monday."

Her answer "Oh cool...so I could hunt 2 days before going back to school? I hope they do it!"

A single point of info. It's not a trend. You can't make decisions on it, but there is one datum point.
OAWC likes this.
tdd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Butler
Posts: 2,228
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
How many leave the state for a job after they graduate, they are gone whether they continue to hunt or not.
absolutely. The college crap is just another excuse. While it does represent a certain percentage it can’t be very large. The ones on the fence won’t be saved by one day.

It all still leaves me asking why? What is to be gained? No one has a real answer.

Last edited by Cscott1; 01-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Cscott1 is offline  
post #243 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Butler
Posts: 2,228
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
How many on here are in college?

I'm guessing it's not a large population.

Jump on facebook groups for hunting/hunting in PA and you'll find a lot more in younger age brackets. I'm in those groups, and there is a definite shift in ages, it seems. Hard to know for sure, but that's the impression I get. It's actually fairly clear in the social media circles, but it's less so here...that's what makes the comparison challenging.

As a parent of a soon-to-be college student, I can tell you with 100% certainty that is a concern of hers. I told her she may very well hunt less in those years of her life, depending on where she goes, etc. Or she might hunt more.....it's just not possible to know until she's in it and we start to figure it out. But her worry is...her exact words... "what if I can't hunt and then don't ever come back to it?"

Now....the fact she asks the question means there's a good chance I'll be able to keep her involved. If she was good with dropping it from her life, she wouldn't be concerned.

But she is, and that gives me some hope. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

That said, I simply said to her "hey, they're thinking of making the rifle opening day on Saturday instead of Monday."

Her answer "Oh cool...so I could hunt 2 days before going back to school? I hope they do it!"

A single point of info. It's not a trend. You can't make decisions on it, but there is one datum point.
id believe the fact that she is asking would mean she’d be back to hunting after school if at all possible
Cscott1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #244 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Berks County, PA
Posts: 7,112
Back To Top
For every person who's opinion you just designated as crap, there's a person who might well think the same of what you're putting out there as your opinions.

Keep that in mind, maybe?
OAWC likes this.
tdd is online now  
post #245 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:01 PM
tdd
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Berks County, PA
Posts: 7,112
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
id believe the fact that she is asking would mean she’d be back to hunting after school if at all possible
But...it's college crap. Just an excuse...right?

tdd is online now  
post #246 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage
 
Loggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: York Co.(Hunt Sullivan Co)
Posts: 21,081
Back To Top
Heck.....mebbie the PFBC could move the Trout Opening Day to a Monday....see what that does to an already dwindling license base!! lol

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Loggy is offline  
post #247 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western PA-2A
Posts: 11,633
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
absolutely. The college crap is just another excuse. While it does represent a certain percentage it can’t be very large. The ones on the fence won’t be saved by one day.

It all still leaves me asking why? What is to be gained? No one has a real answer.

You keep saying tradition. You don't think that many will start a new tradition? How many will start a tradition because it will now be a Saturday instead of a Monday?

Over the years on here I have seen a ton of posts about people saying their old traditions are gone. They no longer go to camps etc. Neighboring camps sit empty. Etc, etc, etc. How alive is that tradition?

I know many that now have archery traditions.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
cspot is offline  
post #248 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:11 PM
The Man
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 9,576
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Heck.....mebbie the PFBC could move the Trout Opening Day to a Monday....see what that does to an already dwindling license base!! lol
Why stop there? Well heck, while they're at it maybe they just move all of the in season stockings to Saturdays as well??? Why don't we just close all seasons except for Saturdays so the maximum amount of people could participate on every day where hunting or fishing was in??? That would solve everything?? Right?
kudu58 is offline  
post #249 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Butler
Posts: 2,228
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
For every person who's opinion you just designated as crap, there's a person who might well think the same of what you're putting out there as your opinions.

Keep that in mind, maybe?
it’s crap on a state level. Sure it’s a reason for you. Or no vacation time is s reason for someone else. I know a guy who works Saturday through wed. I’d bet he’d like a Thursday opener.

Even every reason added up doesn’t have enough impact to change the 60%+ who want it left alone. I want a real reason that the boc is even considering this.
Cscott1 is offline  
post #250 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 PM
tdd
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Berks County, PA
Posts: 7,112
Back To Top
It’s crap... for you.

To you.

Not to others.

60% didn’t say to leave it alone. They said they like the Monday opener.

Did they ask if they didn’t like Saturday?

Seemed like they simply said to rank order their preference.
tdd is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome