Saturday Opener - Page 23 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
yep thatís a common argument. But no one has any numbers on how many were against crossbows and then actually made the change. Besides even those who did could be thinking of you canít beat them join them. Rifle only hunters complain about archery season length but donít really care what weapon is used so why not pick up a rifle-like bow and add six weeks to your season.
Read around these forums enough, I think you'll find that "rifle hiunters don't really care what weapon is used so why not pick up a rifle-like bow..." concept is not widely accepted.

Many will bristle when that kind of thing is suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Quote:
their own poll shows 62% preferred things as they are. Why go against that? Why would they not trust their own data? How can this do anything positive?
Read my crossbow comment.
between 50 and 75% of licensed hunters hunt the Monday opener now, that’s pretty high and 62% like it that way. If it changes participation on Saturday would be forced if you wish to hunt the opener. If it’s easy to say “just start your season on Monday and who care about the opener” then say the same to those who want it on saturday.
post #223 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Quote:
yep that’s a common argument. But no one has any numbers on how many were against crossbows and then actually made the change. Besides even those who did could be thinking of you can’t beat them join them. Rifle only hunters complain about archery season length but don’t really care what weapon is used so why not pick up a rifle-like bow and add six weeks to your season.
Read around these forums enough, I think you'll find that "rifle hiunters don't really care what weapon is used so why not pick up a rifle-like bow..." concept is not widely accepted.

Many will bristle when that kind of thing is suggested.
you’re missing the point. Rifle hunters main complaint about archery is season length not weapon type. Any hunter who took up a crossbow and joined archery was not against crossbows even if the complained about archery season. Besides a rifle hunter using a crossbow didn’t have to give up anything to get that opportunity other than the cost of the equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:34 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
youíre missing the point. Rifle hunters main complaint about archery is season length not weapon type. Any hunter who took up a crossbow and joined archery was not against crossbows even if the complained about archery season. Besides a rifle hunter using a crossbow didnít have to give up anything to get that opportunity other than the cost of the equipment.
And again....I've made that same point...I've seen others make that SAME point...and it starts knock-down/drag-out fights on here.
post #225 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Quote:
you’re missing the point. Rifle hunters main complaint about archery is season length not weapon type. Any hunter who took up a crossbow and joined archery was not against crossbows even if the complained about archery season. Besides a rifle hunter using a crossbow didn’t have to give up anything to get that opportunity other than the cost of the equipment.
And again....I've made that same point...I've seen others make that SAME point...and it starts knock-down/drag-out fights on here.
sure, with guys against crossbows not guys who took advantage of a free opportunity.
post #226 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtrehntr View Post
Thought i read that some of the BOC kids couldnít hunt Monday so they wanna make Saturday a day they could rifle hunt, how bout they go to college and earn their degree and worry about hunting when that happens.
I know from a PGC meeting several years ago they have data that shows that they lose hunters in those college age years. SOme come back after and some don't. Perhaps if they can allow them more opportunity to hunt during those years then maybe they will stick with it. This proposal may help with that.
OAWC likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #227 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I know from a PGC meeting several years ago they have data that shows that they lose hunters in those college age years. SOme come back after and some don't. Perhaps if they can allow them more opportunity to hunt during those years then maybe they will stick with it. This proposal may help with that.
That should get mentioned by the BOC in this discussion. It would be compelling for some, I would think.....
OAWC likes this.
post #228 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:55 AM

You guys do realize they are losing hunters at every age bracket not just college kids. There are more seasons than rifle for college kids to hunt deer. The guys i graduated with had no issues finding the time when they were in college and they still hunt. Still not a reason to change the opener because Johnny is in college and he is the son of someone i the BOC. BOO HOO.
kudu58 and Realtrehntr like this.

4B
post #229 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

That's not what cspot's post is saying, though.

He's saying the BOC might have had data generated that showed a loss of hunter participants once they went to college and missed opening day due to college commitments.

If that is truly the data set they have, that should be compelling. If we're bleeding hunters when they leave home and go to college and could take a step to possibly retain some of those hunters, why WOULDN'T we do that?
post #230 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Good point on losing college age hunters. Most colleges resume classes the Monday following Thanksgiving and cutting classes to hunt Opening Day may not be an option for students. With the Saturday Opener they could at least hunt Saturday without infringing on their studies. There's just way way too many reasons to have a Saturday Opener that collectively make it a no brainer.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page