Saturday Opener - Page 21 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Tradition is to Hunt whenever the designated season allows me to.
Loggy, oaktowntom and jk6140 like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbhnger10 View Post
..For all the Saturday For...Saturday Against..Monday For.. Monday Against whiners....

..JUST MEET IN THE MIDDLE AND MAKE IT SUNDAY...

You could be onto something That might work!!
post #203 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:24 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
if you hired someone to build you a house and they started building a garage would you tell them that isnít what you wanted?

the bocís Job it to manage the resources and have so whatís best for hunters and hunting in Pa. This has no management application so how is it better for hunting or hunters to loose the tradition and go against hunters wishes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
What does the tradition have to do with managing a resource?

See, that one can get turned the other way, too.
Quote:
nothing. Who said it did?
OK, let me take the extra step.

Your point is, this has no management application and we lose tradition so we shouldn't do it.

You can turn that exactly around.

The tradition has no bearing on the management of the resource, which you stated was the BOC's job. So what harm is there in changing the opening day? Same facts, opposite view/usage thereof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
great. Every guy that has that for ďtraditionĒ canít lose as long as they can hunt either day. Their numbers canít count as pro or con to either side and every guy like you makes the move to Saturday make even less sense because they lower the possibility of positive impact.
IMO...no one's "tradition" counts...the PGC will make the call they see best.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #205 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
My Tradition is to Hunt whenever the designated season allows me to.
Hard to go wrong with that tradition!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #206 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
if you hired someone to build you a house and they started building a garage would you tell them that isn’t what you wanted?

the boc’s Job it to manage the resources and have so what’s best for hunters and hunting in Pa. This has no management application so how is it better for hunting or hunters to loose the tradition and go against hunters wishes?
Quote:
What does the tradition have to do with managing a resource?

See, that one can get turned the other way, too. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Quote:
nothing. Who said it did?
OK, let me take the extra step.

Your point is, this has no management application and we lose tradition so we shouldn't do it.

You can turn that exactly around.

The tradition has no bearing on the management of the resource, which you stated was the BOC's job. So what harm is there in changing the opening day? Same facts, opposite view/usage thereof.
your “opposite view” ignores half of the issue. the second part of the boc responsibility is to do what is best for hunters and hunting. Sometimes doing what is best means you need to give up a tradition. How is that the case here? How does a Saturday opener make things better for hunting or hunters as a whole? It won’t sell more licenses and even if it helps hold on to some “on the fence hunters” it won’t matter if you lose hunters that are upset over it. Losing a long standing tradition that most prefer be left alone most certainly would have a negative impact. How is that better?
post #207 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Quote:
great. Every guy that has that for “tradition” can’t lose as long as they can hunt either day. Their numbers can’t count as pro or con to either side and every guy like you makes the move to Saturday make even less sense because they lower the possibility of positive impact.
IMO...no one's "tradition" counts...the PGC will make the call they see best.
ok so what management issue does this solve?
post #208 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

BOC's job isn't what's best for hunters. That's ancillary. The core issue is management.

To pay the bills, they need hunters.

To harvest animals, they need hunters.

What's best for hunters is HIGHLY subjective. With nearly 1 million hunters, who decides what's best for all hunters? You? Me? No. BOC does, by virtue of managing the resource and then by association, managing hunters so as to best (in their view) pay their bills by encouraging participation in the hunting seasons (i.e. buying licenses).
post #209 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
BOC's job isn't what's best for hunters. That's ancillary. The core issue is management.

To pay the bills, they need hunters.

To harvest animals, they need hunters.

What's best for hunters is HIGHLY subjective. With nearly 1 million hunters, who decides what's best for all hunters? You? Me? No. BOC does, by virtue of managing the resource and then by association, managing hunters so as to best (in their view) pay their bills by encouraging participation in the hunting seasons (i.e. buying licenses).
correct. So please explain how going against the preferences of the majority of current hunters is a good thing when it has no positive impact on game management. What is to be gained?
post #210 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Let's make the BOC the parents.

Let's make hunters the kids.

Parents say "hey, kids, look, I know you're used to bed time at 9pm, but your mom and I were talking, and we think we need to try moving it up to 8:30 so you get more sleep."

Kids say "this sucks! It's always been 9pm! Why change it now? I didn't ask to change it! I won't be any happier in the morning! You'll see!"

BOC says "Ok, hunters, look, we know you're used to Monday being the opener, but we'd like to move it up to Saturday to see if it helps participation."

Hunters say "this sucks, it's always been Monday! Why change it now?I didn't ask to change it! No more hunters will hunt! You'll see!"

I see it the same way.

BOC has the decision making role. They're looking at all info available to them and saying "we want to make this change."

We know what keeping it on Monday (going to bed at 9pm) gives us. They want to try Saturday (going to bed at 8:30).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page