Saturday Opener - Page 13 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 301Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,654
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822 View Post
That you are setting yourself up for failure trying to accomadate people who hunt 1 or 2 days a year, at the expense of long time die hard hunters that don't necessarily want change.

FWIW I don't care either way, I just get tired of people whining. If you want to hunt you will make time to hunt.
Fair enough. I would also think that die hard hunters would not turn down additional opportunity to do the activity that they are die hard about....but for some hanging out around camp is more important than getting an extra day to hunt. To each his own.
OAWC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berks Co., Pa
Posts: 4,101
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post

I'm not sure if anything WILL reverse it, but I know if I was in a plane heading toward the ground, I'd probably try something that wasn't currently being done to make it fly up instead of down. It may or may not work. But not changing anything means augering into the dirt.

It's my personal view, to be clear, but we're pointed nose down right now as a sport and the ground's coming up quick.

I agree with your sentiment, but you would only get the plane out of a nose dive by fixing what caused it in the first place. I'm not sure when opening day is is that fix. The plane flew thousands and thousands of miles with the highest amount of hunters ever with a Monday opener.


I say take the cell phones and Gameboys away from your kids and take them outside.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
fall gobbler is offline  
post #123 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SC PA
Posts: 3,654
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
I say take the cell phones and Gameboys away from your kids and take them outside.
Amen to that!
OAWC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Frequent Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shippensburg, Michaux and 4B
Posts: 937
Back To Top
Its an extra day to hunt deer, how can that be a bad thing? I don't understand all the hate about it?

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
burninghxcsoul is offline  
post #125 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Moderator
 
PAlimbhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In the pines
Posts: 1,685
Back To Top
Here is what I'm dealing with when it comes to a Sat. opener

Where I work we have Thanksgiving Day off, Friday, Mon, and Tues as Holidays. They usually Mandatory the Sat (proposed opener) and if we call off we lose the holiday pays. That would be a major hit in the paycheck because I will have to call off. Too bad they could'nt bring the opener in on Sunday as we don't work that day.

On the other hand I have 2 children in college and they are back in class on the Monday after Thanksgiving as the colleges don't recognize deer season. They would make out real good for a Sat. opener. The Sat opener would let us all hunt and go to camp together again like they were in high school.

So for me I have to be ready if a change comes even though I would not like the paycheck scenario but on the other hand we all make out as a family. I'll will have to plan harder, push a little harder to maybe get a buck before the rifle season or fill some doe tags. Then I can lay back and have a blast watching my kids hunt.

On a final note we would have to give up our MD hunts as it opens on that Saturday.

I guess we shall soon see what happens in Aprils' meeting.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
PAlimbhanger is offline  
post #126 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:28 PM
The Man
 
limbhnger10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 1B
Posts: 6,784
Back To Top
Satuday opener...would love it...because it would give me and my kid the opportunity to rifle hunt together again...He hasn't Pa rifle deer hunted since hes been off to college the past 3 years..he generally gets to come up a weekend in Oct to bowhunt. We hunt all late season flintlock and archery for 2 weeks... He hunts WV when he gets a chance on very few occasions when hunting doesn't interfere with school.
limbhnger10 is offline  
post #127 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berks Co., Pa
Posts: 4,101
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post
Its an extra day to hunt deer, how can that be a bad thing? I don't understand all the hate about it?

You see hate??? I see a good, thoughtful, needed discussion.
jimbridger likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
fall gobbler is offline  
post #128 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Butler
Posts: 2,228
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
How many time do things have to go against the wishes of lifelong hunters before they decide that hunting isn’t what the fell in love with anymore?
If someone is a lifelong, dedicated hunter, I think they will hunt regardless of what day the season starts or what days of the week hunting can be done on. I'm at camp from before bear season to Tuesday of buck so a Saturday or Monday opener isn't that big of a deal. A Saturday opener would give my boy 2 days to hunt without missing school.
ya diehards probably will hunt whatever day. That doesn’t mean they want the change. 62% polled want it left alone. How many times can you go against your core group before they become much less “diehard”?

Just look at the deer hunting changes in my lifetime. I’m 36 and I’ve seen 3 day doe turned to two weeks then backed off to one, AR, HR, crossbow inclusion, jr/sr early rifle. On the horizon it looks like semi auto rifles and Sunday hunting. I’m not saying that guys were against all or these but each one angered a portion of the demographic. Some can be smoothed over and tolerated based on being “good for the herd” but some have nothing to do with management need. If you upset them to many times guys will quit and then you’ve caused the very thing you claim to be preventing.
jimbridger likes this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 01-18-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: inappropraite language
Cscott1 is offline  
post #129 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Butler
Posts: 2,228
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by burninghxcsoul View Post
Its an extra day to hunt deer, how can that be a bad thing? I don't understand all the hate about it?
extra day for some, different day for some, loss of day for some, loss of tradition for all. No hate, just truth and common sense.
jimbridger, fall gobbler and TnT55 like this.
Cscott1 is offline  
post #130 of 442 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cspot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western PA-2A
Posts: 11,617
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAWC View Post
Some of those "most hunters" you talk about are reluctant to ANY change....and others complain when their ice cream is cold. Therefore, we have to keep that in mind when we talk about new ideas.

I think was tdd was trying to point out is that if we do not try different things to help hunting overall, we will not have to worry about 60+ year-old traditions anymore...we will have to worry about our ability to even hunt.

I realize that this is a bit of a stretch - if you ask me to choose camp traditions vs. ability to hunt, I'm taking ability to hunt every time....then I'll work on starting a new tradition around the hunting that I can still do. Every tradition has to start somewhere....just like the Monday opener tradition started 60+ years ago when it was changed from December 1st.

My opening day traditions and my hunting traditions have changed alot over the years. Some because of the PGC and some because of other reasons. However the one tradition that hasn't changed is that I have fun hunting with family and friends.

Part of me at times misses some of those traditions. Like when we had the 3 day doe season and you only had off the 1 day and you hunted super hard that day putting drives on and such and were shooting any doe that you got a chance at. We would put on drive after drive and so were others. However even if the PGC went back to that season that tradition would never come back. Most of the guys that I did that hunting with would be having to pop a nitro pill half way thru the first drive. LOL.

Like OAWC has said we have made new traditions as things change and we will continue to do so. When we bought our camp a couple of years ago our Thanksgiving weekend tradition changed and if the Saturday opener comes to be it will change again. However I always welcome more opportunity.
fall gobbler, tdd and whil e kioti like this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
cspot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome