The Problem With Hunters, As I See It - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The Problem With Hunters, As I See It

I haven't really decided what I want to say, mostly for fear of offending someone, I guess. And, since I normally don't write long-winded diatribes on any internet forums you will have to forgive me if I seem to go off on a tangent here or there. But, gosh darn it, I feel like I have to get this off my chest!

This year while out hunting in our great Commonwealth, I had the dubious distinction of being the only hunter on the co-op farm I hunt who harvested a doe. I got flamed by the other deer hunters who have permission to hunt there for doing so, as it seems they believe that my taking a doe, somehow, was reducing their chances at killing a trophy buck! Not sure if they were actually paying attention to the farmer who granted us all permission to hunt there when he said he needed as many as possible removed from the farm so he would have a good crop this year. His livelihood depends on hunters, the deer-harvesting tool, and that is why the farm is open to hunting. But some don't see it that way. They only want to grow the herd and the antlers so they have great hunting on that farm for years to come. When did it become about the hunter's desires and not the farmer's livelihood?

I talked to another hunter who had a decal in the window of his truck. The decal represented his favorite conservation organization, there are many, not going to mention which organization this guy was "representing" but there are chapters out there for deer, grouse, pheasant, turkey, duck, elk, etc.. etc.. you get the idea. So, I inquired about the next banquet because I was interested in attending. The hunter told me he had no idea when the next banquet was, he had never attended one before, and he added that the decal was from about 6 years ago and he only signed up for a free hat! Wow, I thought! When did it become about the hunter and not the conservation organization that raises funds for habitat improvements that benefit all types of wildlife, game animal or not?

Another example is from a guy at work that hunts. He has a pretty good chunk of land, not huge, but his own piece of paradise in Pennsylvania. He toils away in the summertime planting food plots and he thinks the deer have ample vittles to never wander off his 25 acres. He shoots a nice buck every year and his kids do pretty good, too. They get a few gobblers every Spring, as well. But the thing I remember the most about his hunting stories is how adamant he is about his neighbors being slob hunters for shooting 1.5 year old bucks, that are legal! And I think, Wow! Why does planting a food plot make anybody think that all the deer around have become their deer?

What is going on in the hunting fraternity? We have become our own worst enemy by fostering this me, me, me attitude that will only serve to divide us to the point of total collapse! We already have outdoor sporting goods stores selling us out and if that continues we might not have anywhere to go to purchase our gear! We complain about and blame the game commission for our lack of success in the woods every Fall, but we log on and flame everybody else who got their deer because it was too small or the wrong sex! We need to pull our collective head out of our collective posterior and realize that the future of hunting depends on us all supporting each other as long as what we are doing falls within the guidelines of that $6 digest that some of us really whined about! $6 !!!! That's a cup of coffee on those uppity corners in the middle of town! That $6 funds the commission that is creating all of the wonderful opportunities that we enjoy!

Lastly, why are the Sportsman's Organizations grouped up down by the classified ads? They aren't selling anything! They are the conservation organizations that are helping to protect the future of the game animals that we love to pursue. Everybody who hunts should be reading those forums to see what is being done, and what we the hunters can do, to help wildlife flourish in this great state! I'm not saying that everyone needs to sign up with a bunch of these organizations, but gee whiz, do what you can. Whether that be attending a banquet or helping out on a habitat project on public land where you hunt!

Okay, I'm off the soap box! Flame away! I'm a big boy...I can handle it!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Well daid. That was from the heart not a jump on the thread band wagon of the day
NanookOdaNorth likes this.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nothing wrong with your statements but i will add to it. I have noticed over the last 10-15 years everyone just keeps wanting more more more. More seasons, extending seasons, want certain weapons legal and the list goes on.... Since the implementation of AR a lot of hunters are just plain horn crazy instead of just hunters. To many hunting shows out there shooting monsters. Ohio doesnt have AR and they produce big bucks with no issues. i know of property owners that try to get bullied by other neighboring land owners on what they should and should not harvest to benefit themselves.. When i first started hunting in 1990 you never saw or heard of any of this nonsense. I shake my head every year on what hunting has become. GREED

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 PM
The Man

Was a good post Nanook.

Just one piece of advise: watch out where the huskies go.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Sage

I'm sorta offended that you thought you might offend me. Carry on.

I never really had any interest in shooting a doe until 1986 (26 years in). Then it had occurred to me about that time, we now had too many deer where I hunt. Bonus tags started soon after that.

Plus, my huntin' bud had been going over to hunt in Potter for doe with another friend of ours, since I didn't go back up to my camp for doe. Poor devil had to do that for over 12 years, before I got a doe tag and we went to my place.

Then there was the peer pressure of my farmer kin around camp, the neighboring farmers and others, who had been bugging me for some time, to come up and shoot a doe. Not a problem for me to kill a doe now. I took right to it.

I can see why some won't, if they're in an area that hasn't rebounded in deer numbers like my area has. All of your other points are well taken.
bohunr and NanookOdaNorth like this.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 PM
Banned

Agreed...i don't knock anyone for shooting what they want to shoot legally. If you buy a license and you are happy with what you shot. I wouldn't care what anyone else thinks.
I tell you the farmers i know will love you for killing as many as you can. Legally of course.
I hunt the way i want to. I have no problem with anyone doing the same.
jimbridger and bohunr like this.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To the OP: I say the guys who hunt those co-op farms need to figure out why they are there. The farmer makes it that way so you guys can shoot deer, they need to figure out if they are part of the solution or adding to the problem. It will not take much for savoy farmers to figure out if guys are just "trophy" hunting or helping him manage a problem deer herd or just facilitating trophy hunters on his property.

As for the groups these guys belong to, well again what they do and where they belong to is not really the concern if they choose to spend $ their way.

Shooting doe is not a bad thing, guys can dog you for many reasons, but the PGC issues those tags for a reason, for them to be filled, not hoarding or burning. To be used! If people want to "flame you" for shooting a doe, they need to get on board with the simple fact that land can carry only so many, and they should also learn that no one is hindering their opportunities of shooting a buck except themselves. Never, ever be ashamed for shooting doe. Fill those tags and hang in there. Lastly, to that nice farmer, make sure you hook him up with a big thank you or a goodie basket for the opportunity to hunt a good spot...
bohunr, loridr and Pahack like this.

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Guys whine about folks killing 1 1/2 old bucks. People complain when you shoot a 2 1/2 old buck. I’ve had folks tell me I should have passed on a 3 1/2 old buck, he would have been a really good buck the next year.

At the end of the day, hunting is supposed to be fun. Each person has a different definition of fun. When folks try to impose their definition of fun on others, the fun ends. One man’ scrub buck is another’s lifetime trophy. Hunters should learn to keep their mouths shut, and if they can’t find anything nice to say, then say nothing at all.

The “ 25 acre land barons” who think they can create a QDM chapter on their property are pretty common these days.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Part of the Community

lots of good points. one of the big problems is the ridicule from hunter to hunter because of different views.nothing wrong with shooting does , barely legal buck,etc. as long as its done legally. shouldnt have to apologize for doing what we enjoy for different reasons.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was just pondering if parts of the state should go to a “earn a buck” type of program. Gotta shoot a doe before you get a buck tag. I’m sure that would be met with massive resistance but I think many positives would come of it, even if it was only for a couple years....

Carry on.
bohunr and dv8pnt like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page