The Problem With Hunters, As I See It - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 260Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintlock hunter View Post
I hunted the Tyler State Park hunt a few years ago, and if you did not have a doe tag you were not eligible. The Game Warden actually checked for doe tags at the orientation the morning of the hunt.
there you go...rules are rules...I assume it was a doe only hunt?

The hunt in question didn't specify...just as the "farmer" in the OP post didn't seem to convey his wishes to the hunters that they allowed to hunt their farm...yet it's assumed the "other" hunters are at fault for hunting how/what they choose.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM

Not a doe only hunt, just a doe tag necesary to participate hunt, bucks were permitted. And they do specify.
jimbridger and whil e kioti like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:51 PM
The Man

I wouldn't want to see earn-a-buck implemented statewide, it isn't necessary in Pa, we meet management goals without it.

BUT, if I were the farmer with a deer problem, or the land manager in charge of a special park hunt, I would require hunters to agree to earn-a-buck as a condition of participating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:31 PM

I hunt cus I like to hunt. Anything else, the meat, the antlers, controlling population, those things are all just byproducts of the hunt. Not saying I don't enjoy a good steak or a nice rack, or knowing that hunters help with population control, but it's the challange and excitement of the hunt that I seek, everything else is secondary.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Banned

The problem with that philosophy is many landowners that allow hunting do so to control the population of deer on their property. If a landowner is nice enough to allow you to hunt their land, hunters should make every attempt to accommodate the landowner.
jimbridger, bohunr, Buff and 7 others like this.
post #46 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
So then tell me...did you hunt for a buck...or did you have a permit and take a doe instead...If you didn't have a doe permit...then why did you apply for the state park permit?
You have to have a Doe permit to apply as stated by Flintlock.
Did I hunt for a Buck?
I hunted for the first Deer that came along which turned out to be a Nice Big Fat Doe.
That is the Purpose of the Hunt.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #47 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In referencing the original post by NanookOdaNorth, I concur and would like to add another problem I constantly see on message board, threads, etc, and that is the weapons division some hunters have that hinders the future of our sport. I am referring to the "you gun hunters", or "you bow hunters", or "you ML hunters". This comes up every time there is any discussion involving season starting dates, number of deer taken, season overlaps, use of Florescent orange, etc.

I came into archery hunting long after the debate and arguments against compound bows. I worked in an archery shop during the debates and arguments against crossbows. What ended up being a failure for the PGC was the thought that crossbows would drastically increase the total number of hunters. What happened was the number of hunters remained the same or decreased, the number of archery licenses increased due to hunters buying crossbows.

Given that, IMO, there is no reason for someone to sit back and repeatedly say "the archers are killing all the bucks before I even get into the woods". We are all hunters. Spend the money on the license, spend the money on the tool, whether it be a rifle, vertical bow, crossbow, flint lock, shot gun, or inline muzzleloader. We have got to get out of the "one tool" for everyone mentality.
bohunr likes this.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #48 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post
In referencing the original post by NanookOdaNorth, I concur and would like to add another problem I constantly see on message board, threads, etc, and that is the weapons division some hunters have that hinders the future of our sport. I am referring to the "you gun hunters", or "you bow hunters", or "you ML hunters". This comes up every time there is any discussion involving season starting dates, number of deer taken, season overlaps, use of Florescent orange, etc.

I came into archery hunting long after the debate and arguments against compound bows. I worked in an archery shop during the debates and arguments against crossbows. What ended up being a failure for the PGC was the thought that crossbows would drastically increase the total number of hunters. What happened was the number of hunters remained the same or decreased, the number of archery licenses increased due to hunters buying crossbows.

Given that, IMO, there is no reason for someone to sit back and repeatedly say "the archers are killing all the bucks before I even get into the woods". We are all hunters. Spend the money on the license, spend the money on the tool, whether it be a rifle, vertical bow, crossbow, flint lock, shot gun, or inline muzzleloader. We have got to get out of the "one tool" for everyone mentality.
Well said, I was a hard core Archer and was not a fan of Crossbows. But when both shoulders started to fail it was either give up Archery or buy a Crossbow.
I am now a proud owner of a Ravin Crossbow and love it. If I can ever get to shoot a Flintlock consistently accurate well I'll buy one of them.
bohunr likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #49 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post

Agree... although I'm a bit confused...IIRC...crossbows were added for the "gun only" hunters, who were complaining that the "archery" hunters were getting first cracks at the bucks...in that way including crossbows was a success for the PGC because they increased archery license sales.
bohunr likes this.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #50 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:00 AM

I heard a minister mention once that pride is "both easily offended...and...also quick to offend others." Also pride and self esteem, are not necessarily the same thing.

I think it's in our nature to be "me first" personally I think its something that needs to be kept in check. I watched a guy shoot a nice 6 pt with a crossbow that had just walked under my stand, I passed on that same buck 4 times that season hunting with a recurve bow. My reaction? I got down, walked up to him, shook his hand, congratulated him, laughed with him, and enjoyed a bit of his excitement, and offered to help him drag. Why is it so hard for some folks to be nice? ...life is waaaay to short to sweat the small stuff. Get out there and enjoy the mts, there is room for all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page