The Problem With Hunters, As I See It - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 260Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: kunkle, pa
Posts: 17,452
Back To Top
I tend to agree with most of NanookOdaNorth's stump speech. As hunters we provide a great service to the state and the animals of the state that many non hunters just don't understand and the anti hunters don't want them to understand. The sad part is there are still hunters among us that really don't get that part ether. Some get it when it is presented like Nanook put it about a farm he hunts, but IMHO too many don't get it when we talk about our State forest, State Game Lands, and some State Parks. They also only have a limited supply of food for all animals, and no animal is more important than the next. The people that manage these pieces of "public land" are just like the farmers that need help to keep the balance.

The other thing that I see is that somehow many hunters have forgotten or never were informed that as hunters we are ONLY allowed to take from the excess that nature provides and leaves us. There is a point when it stops being hunting and becomes animal husbandry. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
jimbridger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA 2G 5D
Posts: 4,949
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
IMO...yes...if you only have a buck tag...what does the deer population matter...you agreed to only hunt bucks...and the PGC agreed to sell you a license...it's your choice plain and simple...the PGC doesn't give away tags and urge/force hunters to use them...you must buy them...so if you choose not to buy doe tags thereby giving other deer hunters the opportunity to buy and use them your still doing your part...are you not??
Maybe you Need to reread the first post by Nanook the topic starter.
The other hunters were not thrilled with him taking a Doe because they believed it reduced the chances of them getting a Buck. What the Farmer WANTED was to have Deer removed from his property
due to the extensive Crop Loss and that means Bucks and Does.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Potter Co. Joe is offline  
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA 2G 5D
Posts: 4,949
Back To Top
Maybe this story will shed a different light here.
I drew a permit for a controlled Deer Hunt at a State Park near my home.
Was out scouting the designated area of the Park I was assigned to hunt.
I ran into a DCNR park ranger on the way out. We chatted briefly, I commented to him that I live nearby and have been seeing some really nice
Bucks at the park.
His reply was as long as you have the appropriate tag needed we can not tell you what to shoot BUT this is not a Trophy Hunt.
The purpose of the hunt is to lower the Deer numbers plain and simple.
He was pretty emphatic in the way he delivered his message.
I believe this was the same position the Farmer is taking when allowing permission to Hunt HIS property.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Potter Co. Joe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
whil e kioti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 4,416
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Maybe you Need to reread the first post by Nanook the topic starter.
The other hunters were not thrilled with him taking a Doe because they believed it reduced the chances of them getting a Buck. What the Farmer WANTED was to have Deer removed from his property
due to the extensive Crop Loss and that means Bucks and Does.
I understood and agree with it...that doesn't mean as a deer hunter I have to kill more deer than I want to or I'm not doing my part...it's the farmers obligation to tell the hunters they allow on their property how they want it managed...it doesn't matter what the other hunters were not thrilled about.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
whil e kioti is online now  
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbridger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: kunkle, pa
Posts: 17,452
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
I understood and agree with it...that doesn't mean as a deer hunter I have to kill more deer than I want to or I'm not doing my part...it's the farmers obligation to tell the hunters they allow on their property how they want it managed...it doesn't matter what the other hunters were not thrilled about.

It does matter. That is the whole point. Hunters opinions matter, peer pressure matters, becoming our own worse enemy matters. I I I I I matters. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
jimbridger is offline  
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
whil e kioti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 4,416
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Maybe this story will shed a different light here.
I drew a permit for a controlled Deer Hunt at a State Park near my home.
Was out scouting the designated area of the Park I was assigned to hunt.
I ran into a DCNR park ranger on the way out. We chatted briefly, I commented to him that I live nearby and have been seeing some really nice
Bucks at the park.
His reply was as long as you have the appropriate tag needed we can not tell you what to shoot BUT this is not a Trophy Hunt.
The purpose of the hunt is to lower the Deer numbers plain and simple.
He was pretty emphatic in the way he delivered his message.
I believe this was the same position the Farmer is taking when allowing permission to Hunt HIS property.
Understood...but that doesn't mean that taking a buck doesn't help the cause does it?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
whil e kioti is online now  
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
whil e kioti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 4,416
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger View Post
It does matter. That is the whole point. Hunters opinions matter, peer pressure matters, becoming our own worse enemy matters. I I I I I matters. Waugh!
The point is it doesn't matter...unless you allow it to matter...and that is how we are becoming our worse enemy.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
whil e kioti is online now  
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bucks County, PA 2G 5D
Posts: 4,949
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
Understood...but that doesn't mean that taking a buck doesn't help the cause does it?
Whats the Old Saying? you can lead a Horse to Water
jimbridger and bad primer like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Potter Co. Joe is offline  
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
whil e kioti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 4,416
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
Whats the Old Saying? you can lead a Horse to Water
So then tell me...did you hunt for a buck...or did you have a permit and take a doe instead...If you didn't have a doe permit...then why did you apply for the state park permit?

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
whil e kioti is online now  
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 PM
Regular Member
 
flintlock hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southeast Pa 5D
Posts: 1,310
Back To Top
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
So then tell me...did you hunt for a buck...or did you have a permit and take a doe instead...If you didn't have a doe permit...then why did you apply for the state park permit?
I hunted the Tyler State Park hunt a few years ago, and if you did not have a doe tag you were not eligible. The Game Warden actually checked for doe tags at the orientation the morning of the hunt.
jimbridger likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
flintlock hunter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome