What are Fisher really killing or eating - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had found the abstract but was not able view the study (still can't without paying). Thanks for posting more details from the study. Do they list actual carcass collection dates in it?

It pretty much confirms what I suspected. The study largely looked at animals collected from times of the year outside of nesting season. The premise of the original post and likely impetus behind the PGN article was that fishers eat very few turkeys. That may very well be true, however, if the study did not sample fishers from the time of year that turkeys are most susceptible to predation the validity of using the study to discuss whether or not fishers impact turkey populations goes right out the window. It is just another case of a study being used to say something it doesn't prove.

That said, if I had to chose a side on this issue, I seriously doubt that fishers are having a large negative impact on turkey recruitment. I won't pass judgement, though, until I see a valid study that looks at predation at all stages of the turkeys life cycle. I like to see solid facts brought to the table when science is being purported to support one's case.

As far as fishers being killing machines... maybe but I don't see how the study could confirm that. There is no way I am aware of to determine whether or not the contents of the stomach came from the fishers' own kills or were opportunistic meals of animals killed by other means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Banned

Probably skunks or crows.
post #43 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVERT View Post
As far as fishers being killing machines... maybe but I don't see how the study could confirm that. There is no way I am aware of to determine whether or not the contents of the stomach came from the fishers' own kills or were opportunistic meals of animals killed by other means.

The authors kind of alluded to them being efficient killers in that the high proportion (~12%) of stomachs with other fishers in them is exceptionally high for cannibalism by a predator on other adults of that species. They had pretty strong evidence of competitive killing during dispersal vs. opportunistic meals. Either that or fisher mortality is exceptionally high across the state and allows for a relatively high level of opportunistic scavenging of other fishers.

Like I said, the paper didn't break down month by month but only used animals collected between November and February. I wouldn't wait for a monthly diet study like with coyotes as it will never happen with a species that is not super abundant and can only be harvested for a very short time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Probably skunks or crows.

Not enough legs and too big.
post #45 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Fire ants?
post #46 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The article is quite contradictory.
In the side bar it says , as Fisher prey resources declined, so did the Fishers.
And by the mid 1920's the Fisher was all but gone.
Ok, in the graph that's listed of today's current Fisher prey the Vole is a whopping # 1 in there diet.
Go back to the mid 1920's was it the shortage of Voles that led to the Fishers decline or the shortage of Deer and Turkeys?
So what Species of prey declined to the point it had such a dramatic effect on the Fisher population?
I'd be willing to bet it wasn't the Vole. Records show what the Deer and Turkey numbers were back then. (Low)
Whether you agree or disagree with the USP, The spring 2018 news letter has an article in it questioning the PGC in regards to
Them reintroducing the Fisher and the effect on small game numbers they have had. A fact that small game has another Top End Predator to deal with.
So maybe they are not effecting the Turkeys but along with Coyotes the Fisher is another Killing machine.
It just makes me wonder was the timing of this article in Game News a coincidence or a defensive response to the USP claims that the Fisher reintroduction was a mistake an the PGC is trying to cover its Tracks. ( no pun intended).

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #47 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 PM

"Some of the results from the actual study and not the popular article on the study."

Thank You. Waugh!

Can I guess crow or raven killing quail and turkeys down south? Just one of those wags we all like to take.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.

Last edited by jimbridger; 06-07-2018 at 11:09 PM.
post #48 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:24 PM

Well the story that they climb and kill roosting turkey ( in amounts to the point of population impacts) seems to be put to rest, because turkeys do roost during the months the study was conducted. It seems that the fall back is that they impact the population in the spring of the year when all other predators eat about half of all that are born. The question is do they eat as much or more of the eggs, chicks, young of the year as the other predators they kill or chase away. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #49 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When they were around our camp the chipmunks were not seen!
post #50 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Wiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Fire ants?
That's it. Nasty little critters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page