Why I've been an HPA member for 13 years... - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 PM

I just like to talk hunting.

Sometimes I get into discussions, and the members I butt heads with would be ones I'd most like to meet. Even some of the poopyheads.😉
Muzz, jimbridger, bohunr and 2 others like this.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Sdowns took the time to PM me quite a bit of information, links and maps of an area I want to hunt. Must have taken some thought and time to put it all together. And I've never even met him.
bigguy54 and kudu58 like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
I've been here since 2007. I found the site while looking up something about PA hunting history. I don't recall exactly what I was looking for but sure am glad one of the search results was a place called HuntingPA.com.
One of the first threads I read was a Spirit of the Hunt type thread, and I immediately joined!
Being overseas, this site has kept me up to date on changes and happenings in the PA hunting world. So much so that I've had to correct some friends and family members on a few occasions regarding reg changes.
I've seen a lot of members come and go, but very happy with the ones that stay. Well, mostly.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 AM

I guess I've been on here over 15 years ? I do remember a "feedback" thread that was a sticky. Pretty sure it was "stuck" over in the For Sale forums. It would allow people to post the MOSTLY positive interactions folks had while buying/selling with members. I'm pretty sure it went away though for some reason.... though I could be incorrect about that.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Having been a member for almost 17 years now I guess I am one of the old timers of the site. I have met a lot of great people because of posting here. Way too many to name.

Back in the days when I was still working I met members who drove long distances to spend a day on ride along as we examined habitat and deer impacts to our forests and clear-cuts. Many came from all parts of the state to attend game lands/deer management tours we held here in Elk County. Many others drove the whole way across the state to attend our volunteer workdays held on our local game lands then turned around and drove for hours to get back home.

Some I have enjoyed hunting with and we have become great friends. Friends I value and have great respect for.

Many others have kept me on my toes and forced me to do more research and to learn about things I might never have learned had it not been for the lively discussions we have had on this site. Sometimes I might get disgusted, blunt and even angry with some of the posters, but even the most outrageous of them have helped in some ways.

I have often said that if it weren't for those posting the non-sense and incorrect information on this site there would be no motivation or reason for those who know better to post a rebuttal. It is those back and forth rebuttals that put the best information from all sides and angles out there. That allows all the site members and readers, many of which almost never post, information and thoughts so everyone can evaluate and think things through, then develop a well informed opinion, right or wrong, on the various topics. Though some will never admit they are wrong it at least gives everyone pause to perhaps rethink their preconceived opinions on some of the subjects, me included at times. Without a few knuckleheads it wouldn't be likely for the correct information to ever make its way onto this site. So, I am thankful for the knucklehead even though I would sometimes prefer and even enjoy punching the lights out on some of them. But then for some of them I have felt that way one day then the next day agreed with their thoughts on some subjects as well. There have been a few on this site that I once completely disagreed with who are now among some of my best friends.

Those are the things that make this site so great and worthy of our time in my opinion.

Dick Bodenhorn

Last edited by R. S. B.; 03-14-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #16 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:04 PM
Sage

What would this place be without the honored curmudgeons, bull heads, peace makers and a bit of humor now and then, to liven things up?

I'm not always right - I'm just never wrong.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #17 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage

keeps me coming back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thDP4BMA3M.jpg (13.7 KB, 180 views)
bigguy54 likes this.

wmu 3A
post #18 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:18 PM
The Man

I joined in 2009 and did not come in with good intentions. That was the year crossbows were being voted on for inclusion and I was in a panic because I felt it was going to be the end of archery . Think I stumbled on HPA doing a search on the matter. Funny thing is though that some of the members I enjoy the most are the ones who were pushing for them back in 2009.
Times have changed and so have I . Like to think I matured over the years and have become a little more open minded. With that being said I still have my slip ups from time to time when a topic comes up that I am passionate about. As recently as the last few months. I have had a couple exchanges with a few members that got me so frustrated I was ready to leave. Not with just them but also myself. Always end up coming back though.
There's a bunch of really good guys on here and even though we have never met in person I feel like I know them. Two years ago I did hook up with one of the members and got in his bear gang. Great group of guys and this coming bear season will make it three in a row.
Lots of great advice and opinions on here along with some great stories.
Really looking forward to turkey season. I will be on that forum day and night come May.
bohunr, bigguy54 and Buckskin Dave like this.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #19 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Hey Kudu, Thank you very much for the kind words! and your welcome for the dies, now when I get my suppressor, we will share our sub recipes!

As for me, Night eyes... the awesome service he gave me, the info on preds, and leading me to Mr. Ulmer who is cutting and threading my 30/06 barrel for my can.

and Beagler.... My brother in arms... gave me a lot of training on preds.
bohunr and bigguy54 like this.
post #20 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage

Some of the "newer" folks may not know about the assorted goodwill missions that have transpired on here over the past 17 years.

Like the family that lost almost everything in a fire not long before Christmas and the terrific response from HPA members, in offering them a bit of cheer. It even included "Santa" and a sleigh, drawn by a pair of goats, or "something"? Just kidding 'bout the goats.

The "Looking For Someone" thread is in a class all by itself and should soften the hardest heart.

Plenty of other nifty things have happened, when folks pitched in to bring someone else a bit of comfort and happiness, during hard times and tragedy.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page