The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Remington Model 700

61K views 145 replies 42 participants last post by  adudeuknow 
#1 ·
My grandfather is in the market for a new rifle chambered in 30.06. I don't know a ton about and new Remington's so I checked their website and was surprised to see just how many different M700's there were.

What are some favorites of you fine folks on HPA. This will be a gun that probably will never see distances beyond 200 yards. Just looking for some general info and experiences.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

#2 ·
I have a 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem Mag. I've had it since 1994 and I've only had 2 bad experiences with it. First, if there is oil in the chamber, it sometimes won't eject fired shells. Second, the grip cap broke off of it back in early November. I called Remington to get a replacement and it was on backorder...I still haven't received it (Krazy Glue is holding it in place as we speak). Overall it shoots great and I've taken whitetails, a mule deer, an antelope, a coyote, and a wild hog with it.

#5 ·
Remington quality has been sliding downhill for years.They are very accurate guns but there price is high for their quality.I like the new Winchesters myself for about the same price or less.Check a used gun rack at your local dealer and you will see the different brands and each ones quality.

#10 ·
can't beat Remington. Don't want to talk you out of anything....BUT I'd highly recommend that he get a Remington Model 7. Lighter and easier to hunt/carry for a senior (I'm one). It is a short action so you woould have to consider a 308 in lieu of the '06 (no loss there at all). The 7-08 and the 260s are really great for big game hunting also.

If you want to diviate from the Remington to another light weight I'd highly recommend the Kimber 84M in the above cartridges.

I hunt and shoot M700s and Model 7s and a few Kimbers. As I've gotten older it is tougher for my hand to pick out a heaiver rifle from the cabinet on opening day.
Just my thoughts.

#14 ·
thanks for all of the replies everyone they are greatly appreciated. he is most likely going to look for one used as he can't afford a new one.

he has it narrowed down to a:

XCR II
BDL
CDL
Mountain LSS
SPS
VLS in .308
XCR

LOL...should be an easy decision

#15 ·
I'd look into a Ruger 77 myself. Rem's have been a bit wanting in the last decade or so. First choice would be a used 77 with the tang safety. Then a 77 MK II. Nothing wrong with the 77 Hawkeyes either from what I've heard. They'll do what your Grandpa wants and then some. JMHO

Muab

#22 ·
Big Ken said:
Muab Dib said:
I'd look into a Ruger 77 myself.
Muab
I think he wants something that shoots under a 5" group..Ruger 77 almost qualifies as a shotgun...I've owned enough to know.
That's straw through the cow and shows more then a little bit of ignorance. I've owned more then a few myself. I'll put the one's I currently have up against any 700. Not say'n they'll be any more accurate but that they'll be as accurate. 1/2" to 1 1/2" @ 100 seems to be the norm with the right load. Never ever had a Ruger 77 that wouldn't shoot well.

Muab

#23 ·
Big Ken said:
Muab Dib said:
I'd look into a Ruger 77 myself.
Muab
I think he wants something that shoots under a 5" group..Ruger 77 almost qualifies as a shotgun...I've owned enough to know.

My FIL owned two Ruger 77 7mm magnums. I've fired them both (and hunted with one) and they were as accurate as anything else I've used. I think you just like Remington too much.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.