The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Remington Customer Service Stinks!

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Lugnut 
#1 ·
11-22-10 Email to Remington:

I purchased a new Remington Model 332 September 28, 2005. While grouse hunting at my camp last week the lug that holds the forearm to the barrel and against the receiver fell off when I opened the action rendering the gun inoperable. My week long hunt would have been over but I managed to borrow a gun from the lease manager where I was hunting. The lug had been soldered on and it is clear from rust pitting on the barrel and the bottom of the lug that the soldering was sub-standard

The gun has less than 500 rounds through it and is very well cared for. The lug falling off caused the forearm and barrels to fall off when I opened the gun, which caused damage to both. All can be fixed by any competent gunsmith but before I do that I’d like to know if there is anything Remington is willing to do.

I have been a loyal Remington customer for 40 years and most of the guns in my collection are Remingtons. I own older Browning and Winchester shotguns that have had many tens of thousands of rounds fired through them without any type of failure.

I realize the gun is out of warranty but I believe Remington should stand behind their product and fix this problem at no cost to myself.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX XXXXXX

12-1-10 Email from Remington:

We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. , we recommend taking/shipping the firearm to the following Remington Premier Repair Centers for inspection.

Mann & Son Sporting Goods
515 W Water St.
Pinckneyville, IL 62274
Phone: 618-357-2911
Fax: 618-357-3658

Include a note of the problem with your name, address and daytime phone number.

You can find additional Remington Warranty Centers for the US and internationally at the following section of our site.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/repair-services.aspx

12-10-10 Email to Remington:

After waiting a week and getting no response to my initial email, I called Remington Customer Service. I was on hold for 17 minutes before I finally got to talk to a very uninformed and unhelpful individual. First words out of his mouth were, “Oh, I don’t think we even work on that model anymore, we sold all the spare parts to a gun shop in California”.

He kept referring me to them and I had to explain repeatedly that it wasn’t about parts or repair; any gunsmith could easily fix it. It was about Remington standing behind their product or at the very least, getting a response to my email.

His final solution was to promise me that” I will see that the president of the division in charge of receiving emails gets your email and we’ll see if we can’t get you a response from them”.

A couple of days later I did get the above, very generic response, which doesn’t address my concerns at all. I did try several times to access the support site under my old user name and was unable to. I was never emailed the new password nor were any of the other prompts completed on your end. I finally set up a new user name and password and was able to access the site but was denied access to my question/email. The whole process was a very frustrating waste of time.

I am very disappointed with Remington’s customer service and lack of willingness to stand behind their product(s). Here is an example of the type of customer service a company should offer. About 12 years ago the lever on a 1953 Marlin 336 that had been willed to me by my father wore to the point where it would no longer reliably feed cartridges. I emailed Marlin, and followed their directions in shipping the rifle back to them. They replaced the lever and returned the gun to me at no charge even though the weapon was forty-five years old at that time. That is a company that stands behind their products.

In lieu if your responses (or lack thereof) to my shotgun failure and your absolutely abysmal customer service, I will no longer purchase Remington products and will urge my friends to do the same. You may be America’s oldest gun company but you are nowhere near its best.

Thank you,

XXXXXXX XXXXXX

See less See more
#4 ·
Big Ken said:
The email from Remington on 12-1-10......Sounds like they were willing to work with you and gave you a means of having the gun checked out...Right?..Or am I reading this wrong?
I'm reading it the same as you Ken. If those dates are correct I have no problem. They told you how to resolve the issue.

I bought a new sendero last year and the magazine box had a slight bend so the cartidges would not feed correctly. Sent an email to Remington, had a response in a day, and a new mag box 2 days after that. No complaints here.

#5 ·
12-1-10 Email from Remington:

We apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing. , we recommend taking/shipping the firearm to the following Remington Premier Repair Centers for inspection.

Mann & Son Sporting Goods
515 W Water St.
Pinckneyville, IL 62274
Phone: 618-357-2911
Fax: 618-357-3658

Include a note of the problem with your name, address and daytime phone number.

You can find additional Remington Warranty Centers for the US and internationally at the following section of our site.

http://www.remington.com/pages/support/repair-services.aspx

Doesnt sound unreasonable to me. What more should they do, send the gunsmith to your house to inspect/repair your 5 year old gun?

Good luck, Tony

#7 ·
I once contacted the Remington CUSTOM SHOP because I wanted a left Model 700 VTR in 308. They told me it was a custom job and that they couldn't help me. I have no proof, it was by email two years ago, but I swear it. I swore them off forever after that, mainly because they wont cater to left handed shooters AT ALL.

#8 ·
Put yourselves in my shoes fellas. My expensive, very lightly used O/U literally falls apart (barrels on the ground, remaining pieces in my hands apart) during a grouse hunt.

I spend a week trying to get a response from the manufacturer via their website. I finally call and I am put on hold for seventeen freaking minutes and finally get to talk to a clueless individual who clearly doesn’t give a crap about me our my problem and offers no help or solution whatsoever.

Days later I finally get a response to my email but then can not access it via their website as I am directed to do. My login doesn’t work and after many tries I finally create a new login (as I was again directed to do) only to have access to my question denied!

If that’s what passes for acceptable customer service with you guys…well I guess you won’t be disappointed much.

As far as them directing me to send it in…that ain’t happening. It’s a fairly easy repair except for the damage to the forearm and barrels. I can only imagine what Remington might charge me for that, not to mention shipping. I’ll either fix it myself or have my local gunsmith do it and then likely sell it. I can’t imagine why I’d ever buy another Remington after this experience.

But if you guys are okay with that level of quality and customer service…

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.