The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Meopta Optics

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  GMO 
#1 ·
Just wanted to relate...

I was the extremely lucky recipient of an early Christmas present, that being a pair of Meopta Meostar 7x42 binoculars. I'd been checking these out for some time.

I currently hunt with a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30 binos, and I really enjoy them.

The Meoptas are head and shoulders above the Zeiss.

I knew they were good optics for the money, but did some digging around online, and came up with a few birder's reviews. For those who don't know, if you want to see every, and I do mean every, nitpicky detail of an optic dissected and eviscerated bluntly and matter-of-factly, read a birder's review of the optic in question.

The one review I found (I'll re-locate and post the link if folks want it) that was fairly objective and data-oriented put the Meopta bino's just barely behind the top of the line Swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss glasses. The interesting part is that the Meopta's cost about $1000 less than those optics.

Anyway, I'll be toting them around in flintlock season, so I'll get to give them a field work-out and report back for those who are interested.

See less See more
#2 ·
the meoptas are actually made by zeiss they are more compared to zeiss victory line the ones that are made and put togther in germany....less there floride glass this is the big price jump hope this helps im a big fan of zeiss and have quite a few of them the conquest line should be the same as the meoptas only difference its all out of germany.....

#3 ·
No, the Meoptas are made by Meopta in the Czech Republic. The Zeiss Conquest line is not made in Germany. I've "heard" they are assembled from German-made components, but I'm not sure of that.

The info I got with the Meoptas all points back to Meopta directly, and to their location in the Czech Republic.

Reports are that they also use Schott glass, just like the big boys. An acquaintance of mine on another forum has corresponded with Meopta both in writing and on the phone to run down some of the details.

Interestingly, if one were to purchase a pair of Cabela's Euro binoculars, and one were to open the package and look at the literature included, it would all say "Meopta" on the top.

#5 ·
I really want a pair of the new Swarovski EL 10x42 HD aka Swarovision. But, 2450$ is a lot of coin to drop. Regardless, if I ever buy another pair of binos I'm getting Swaros. I've bought 5 pair of 400$ binos the last 10 years. I could have bought the Swaros in the beginning an been better off.

Anyone know where you can get a deal on the Swaros?

#6 ·
Luv2bowhunt said:
I really want a pair of the new Swarovski EL 10x42 HD aka Swarovision. But, 2450$ is a lot of coin to drop. Regardless, if I ever buy another pair of binos I'm getting Swaros. I've bought 5 pair of 400$ binos the last 10 years. I could have bought the Swaros in the beginning an been better off.

Anyone know where you can get a deal on the Swaros?
You really owe it to yourself to look at a pair of Meopta Meostars. Truly. I've read birders' reviews that rank the Meopta just a hair behind the Swaro's. The main difference is that the Meopta's will cost you about $900.

#7 ·
Been hunting with the Meopta's.

Last night at 5:15 at 400+ yards, I could see antlers on the buck that slipped across the big bean field in front of me.

The clarity and light transmission of these bino's is staggering. Truly.

#8 ·
Tdd....I read a review some time ago in F & S magazine, I believe, and the the writer stated that the Meopta's were as you stated.......right up to the top of the high-end binocs, at a fraction of the cost. I just wish I knew where I could see a pair. Non of the sporting goods stores around me seem to carry them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.