Recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cscott1
  • 1 Post By Cscott1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Recommendations

I want to purchase an air rifle to start a youngster shooting. No experience with air rifles. Looking for some recommendations. Maybe in the $150 price range. Have no problem purchasing pre owned, might prefer going pre owned if I know where to look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

PM sent
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:11 PM

If you’re planning on shooting it fairly short distances and not trying to kill anything with it I would highly recommend one of the used 10 m air rifles from civilian marksmanship program. They cost 105+ shipping, you can get them with either a sport or or Monte Carlo stock and they include peep sights. The guns or grooved for rimfire scope rings if you want to put a scope on it. My eight-year-old has been using his for about two months now and regularly shoots dime size groups at 10 m from a sandbag
camtraker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Forgot to mention they are advertised as a daisy 853 rifles but of the three I have ordered this year two of them were 753’s with 853 stocks. I’m convinced they build them out of parts from hundreds or even thousands of guns but they work right out of the box no issues whatsoever
camtraker likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:25 AM
Regular Visitor

The Daisy 853 is a great choice but if you want to get started with half the money I would think about one of the been around forever less expensive multi pumps like a Daisy 880 or Crosman 760. The power is adjustable on these depending on the number of pumps you give them and like the 853 they are recoil-less. Spring and gas piston guns have a double recoil that is hard to get use to and more power with them usually means more recoil problem. CO2 guns need the gas cylinders and half filled gas cylinders usually ruin the seals if left in the gun for any length of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in