Rats with Air rifle at night - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Rats with Air rifle at night

Okay so here is the deal.
I have a mission this summer and while I am on it will find entertainment by sniping rats, at night and in the evening, that populate this farm to an alarming degree.
I need recommendations in terms of an air rifle and night vision / scope I should use.
Although this will be in a remote area I would like to have a rifle that is quiet.
Also, .22 or .177 are not an issue as both will do the job.

I know this much "0" about air rifles in terms of accuracy / reliability. Know a bit about cost and would like to keep it below $200.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 AM
The Man

I have killed thousands of rats with a pellet gun. I used and still have a Feinwerkbau 124 in 17 cal. The MV is about 830 fps, not fast by today's standards. Accuracy is the key. The 124 is very accurate. I try to take only head shots but a chest shot is just as good.

I had plenty of places to hunt but I had 3 places that stood out. All were dumps where food scraps were dumped. There was street lighting in the area so I did not need illumination. Th rats did not show up until dark when activity in the area ceased.

BTW at all 3 of the better locations owls would show up and pick up the dead rats. It seemed when I was shooting regularly they learned that there would be an easy meal. What was neat was that the owls knew I was there and showed no fear about dropping down to pick up dead rats right in front of me.
joe8768 and jimsdad like this.

Last edited by Dogface; 02-05-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Jim since you have time between now and the summer for two hundred dollars or under I would check the classified section for a used one that is outfitted with a decent scope.

There is a lot of information on Airgun depot or Pyramyd air. Also check out some of their videos. They also have them on YouTube.

I bought a refurbished RSW 22 cal. For about $200 from Airgun Depot. I also obtained a 3x9x40 Hawk Airgun scope with a lifetime warranty for $100. From them
jimsdad likes this.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've looked at the ballistics of the 22 high end air rifles. And there's nothing wrong with owning one....and using it for a given purpose.

However, (always a however) when I compare the very quiet 22 airgun to my very quiet 22LR using subsonic ammo and a suppressor, the "noise" factor is the same. Both very quiet. But the downrange energy factor of the 40gr. 22LR is significantly better than the 22 air rifle.

If you have an area where shooting a 22LR is not an issue, I would suggest the suppressor as an option.
jimsdad likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
I've looked at the ballistics of the 22 high end air rifles. And there's nothing wrong with owning one....and using it for a given purpose.

However, (always a however) when I compare the very quiet 22 airgun to my very quiet 22LR using subsonic ammo and a suppressor, the "noise" factor is the same. Both very quiet. But the downrange energy factor of the 40gr. 22LR is significantly better than the 22 air rifle.

If you have an area where shooting a 22LR is not an issue, I would suggest the suppressor as an option.
Good data.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:19 PM
New Arrival

Send a message via AIM to fender Send a message via MSN to fender Send a message via Yahoo to fender
If you are looking for a light ,I got this one years ago at Sniper hog light (bow model) ) . They still have similar ones for about $!00. I have one in Green and it doesn't spook rodents The mount is $15 and will work with most AA type flashlights.
Some things to consider:

- An AO scope for parallax
- Gas piston vs spring air.
- Cocking effort

Pyramid Air has a wide selection, videos and reviews to help you with your search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2254.jpg (55.0 KB, 215 views)
jimsdad likes this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 PM

When I was a kid we would shoot rats and mice with pellet guns. Always close range, no farther than thirty feet. We used different guns, a 760 shooting BB's resulted in some rats running away to die, a Sheridan, which shot .20 pellets worked well, with around six pumps, went straight thru rats, fewer runoffs. The best rat combination back then for me was a Crossman .22 cal, that shot around 700 fps. That seemed to really anchor then right in place, this was shooting for the body. We would sit on a step ladder, and put aluminum foil around a light bulb in the building, so the light only shined about half of the area it normally did, and we would sit on the dark side of the light. Sometimes we would smear peanut butter around the areas we wanted rats to stop, as they were always moving. Even though the building had the lights on, the rats still came out when it got dark outside
jimsdad likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If noise is a concern - what about just using 22 shorts if that's an option? I feel like they make less noise than some airguns.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP66 View Post
If noise is a concern - what about just using 22 shorts if that's an option? I feel like they make less noise than some airguns.
I used those in the past for some "pest" control. They are quiet, but the distance for effective killing is limited. But for that up close 'n personal they work.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

pick up a box of CCI CB shorts and try them. 29 grain lead at 710fps. I have been shooting a lot of them at steel from my original Winchester and they shoot real well. plenty of power to anchor a rat. they are very quiet, you can hardly her the gun go off.
jimbridger likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page