10m air rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

10m air rifle

Just taking a wild shot here but does anyone have a 10m pellet rifle they aren’t using? My son started shooting some with 4h at our club and is begging me for a rifle to practice at home. They shoot avanti’s and $450 is a bit steep for me right now. I see they make the daisy 753 for around $250 but I thought I’d look for a used one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:35 PM
New Arrival

Check CMP, they sell used Daisy/Avantis with adjustable stock and sights for around 95 bucks. Used guns from shooting clubs and available to the public which some CMP purchases aren’t. Think it’s an 880 or something like that but great reviews for 10m FT type shooting. I’ve thought of ordering one for the kids a few times.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:38 PM
New Arrival

Sorry, 853 is the model that’s cheapest. Looks like $105 from CMP. Think there is a trigger adjustment that can be done and know some people received nice units with aftermarket sights, etc. while others received barebones setup. Still great price and they are resealed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremcat View Post
Sorry, 853 is the model that’s cheapest. Looks like $105 from CMP. Think there is a trigger adjustment that can be done and know some people received nice units with aftermarket sights, etc. while others received barebones setup. Still great price and they are resealed.
thanks. I missed your post but at the shoot tonight the rifle my son was using( club rifle) crapped out. I found out that rifle had given some trouble last season and it was probably time to retire. The guy who runs the program was planning on ordering some from cmp. I had no idea that anyone who belonged to a member club could order. So long story short I will be placing an order for two used 853’s with Monte Carlo stocks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:53 PM
New Arrival

Glad I could help and this deal with CMP is open to public as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 PM
New Arrival

Think trigger limit for most leagues is 2#s or so. There are a bunch of articles on the mods to get there but these are used refurbs that could have had trigger done, aftermarket sights, or nothing over stock.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

10m air rifle. Update

I ordered two of the 853 Monte Carlo pellet rifles from CMP on wed jan 2. I received them Friday Jan 4. Since we new the rifles wouldn’t be completely identical, we let the kids pic before we opened the boxes. Both are actually stamped 753, but I think the only real difference is the stock which are defiantly the “kids” 853 Monte Carlo. The one my niece got has a nice blonde stock with very little wear. My sons, unfortunately had a much rougher stock that had been heavily oiled. We found the action to be loose in the stock but the screws were tight. After removing the action from the wood we saw that an internal lip in the stock was cracked where the rear action screw goes. After taking some pictures, I was able to make a temporary repair so he could shoot the rifle Sunday. We sighted the rifles in and both are making 3/8” groups at 10m. Saturday I sent an email to CMP and asked if their was anything they could do for me. Monday at 8am I received a email reply apology for sending a broken stock and was told a replacement was on the way. It arrived today! The new stock is nearly perfect with the original finish and only a few minor dings.

Sunday evening the kids took their new guns to 4h practice. My niece shot very well as usual. My son is still shooting prone from a rest since he is no able to hold the rifle steady from a sitting position. He was able for the first time to keep all 25 shots inside the 1 ring with only 3 outside the black. He is very happy with the gun. The CMP has a great thing going here.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:54 AM
New Arrival

Awesome, glad it worked and applaud you encouraging them. I’ve got 4 kids and trying to find time for anything is difficult to impossible. You prioritizing 4H for them is fantastic. My 7 y/o got us into trapping this season and 18 y/o grew up hunting deer in NC. Took his first at 10 or 11 I think. He’s now getting geared for college and Computer Science but every now and then he says something to remind me of the impact those years had. I’ve got a huge split with youngest boy 2 y/o so I’ll enjoy the little buddy tagging along for a while yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page