Air Rifle Accuracy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Air Rifle Accuracy

What is the maximium range that you consider your air rifle to be accurate to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM

sheeeeeeeeeesh.........MAYBE 35 yards and that's once you know your gun. That's about as far as I can consistently hit a soda can square. Once I get past 38 yards I start to miss the can at times or hit the edges, with some good solid center shots mixed in. Heck I can hit a can to 50 yards but I miss way more than I hit. At 60 I miss nearly every time unless the target gets much larger. I'm not the best shot though and don't have a $400 gun so maybe a more serious shooter would be good to 50. Not me though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 PM
The Man

I guess it would depend on what you consider "accurate" to be................

I mess around with mine quite a bit in the summer time, shooting at a muskrat hole on the far bank of our pond. It's right at 150 yards. I have a ROCK SOLID rest and it's a waste of pellets on anything but a calm day. I can come pretty darned close to putting them in the hole most shots with my turrets wound all the way out AND holding high). The hole is +/- 8 inches across. So figure, theoretically, the gun would be shooting a 4" group at 75 yards............. 2" group at 37-38 yards and an inch at a whisker under 20 yards.

I don't know if that's "accurate" or not.

I do know that the pigeons on the far end of the barn roof (40 yards out and 30 feet up) don't stand much of a chance.
simoncool likes this.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:07 PM
The Man

I shoot in a 25 yard 22 silhouette league. Some of the guys use air rifles. The air rifle guys shoot at smaller animals. I would say the animals are about 1.5" on average. These guys shoot off hand and they are pretty good. Based on what I've seen I'd say their rifles consistently shoot less than .5" at 25 yards and probably better.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 08:06 AM

I have shot mine to 50 yards and a silver dollar will cover the group. Air rifles can cover everything from Red Ryders to $3000 50 calibers. There are some amazing air rifles out there these days.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A decent gun off a rest with the right pellets (very important) you should be hit a quarter or smaller every time at 25 yds.A break barrel gun spring or gas is a lot different shooting than a firearm.Your technique better be perfect or your groups go ^$%# in a hurry.I've shot at fifty but never measured the group but about what dpms said.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
New Arrival

I have a Gamo Whisper that sprays horribly at 15 yards, off sand bags. I've tried 8 different kinds of pellets. Received it new as a gift, very disappointed in accuracy (and it doesn't "whisper" either).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:41 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspace View Post
I have a Gamo Whisper that sprays horribly at 15 yards, off sand bags. I've tried 8 different kinds of pellets. Received it new as a gift, very disappointed in accuracy (and it doesn't "whisper" either).

Call them. It may still be under warranty.

We sent one back that was out of warranty. It had problems similar to yours. They replaced it but it cost me a few bucks. The new one is much better.

Good luck.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All my springers will group 1/2" or better if I do my part out to 35 yards. I have shot them a ton though, know how to hold them and have found the most accurate pellet (s) for each one. My $89 factory refurbished Gamo Big Cat that I sent to have CDT tuned will shoot 1/4" @ 30 yards with no wind and hčavy magnum 10.6 grain domed pellets all day long with almost boring regularity. As far as PCP guns? That's a whole other animal. Even the lowest priced PCP will usually outperform any springer in the $200-$350 range with almost no recoil and greater consistency, requiring no special technique. Find the righ pellet and pressure range for them and 50 yards is a regular prospect.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Last edited by mightyjoeyoung; 02-10-2018 at 10:16 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspace View Post
No offense, but its likely you, or rather the way you're shooting it. Springers, or spring air guns like your (use either a spring or compressed gas piston in a cylinder) to drive a cup seal forward to force the air in the cylinder out with force to propel the pellet down the barrel. Thats a lot going on and a lot of movement in a very short time frame. All this action requires a special technique to get it to shoot accurately. It requires what's called the "artillery hold" on the foregrip and a consistent, straight back trigger press. You simply CANNOT hold a springer like a regular rifle, nor should you generally shoot them off anything that contacts the sides of the stock like sand bags or try to hold it tight to your shoulder. You should almost cradle it-firmly, but gently. Hope this helps.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in