Quality Air Rifle for a Child - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nes
  • 1 Post By shawmutt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quality Air Rifle for a Child

We are trying to find a decent air rifle that my granddaughter who is six can properly learn with.

The problem is length of pull. On everything we've looked at, she can not properly shoulder the rifle. We've looked on line and almost always the specs don't provide length of pull. For the record, a daisy red rider seems to fit, but I would hope we could find something of much better quality. An inaccurate toy can be very frustrating.

If you have a recommendation, please post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Have you considered one of the Cricket 22 rifles?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes, but for lots of reasons think an air rifle would be more appropriate and useable. We would not have to go to the club range for her to shoot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 02:37 PM
Nes

I would not buy a Cricket. My granddaughter has one and the way you load them is not convenient. For a 22 I would go to a regular 22 they can hunt with when they are ready. I started looking for an air rifle this week for the same reason. She can shoot it where they live instead of running to a shooting range.
dce likes this.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't know much about it, but Ruger makes a youth one, the Explorer.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailMan View Post
We are trying to find a decent air rifle that my granddaughter who is six can properly learn with.

The problem is length of pull. On everything we've looked at, she can not properly shoulder the rifle. We've looked on line and almost always the specs don't provide length of pull. For the record, a daisy red rider seems to fit, but I would hope we could find something of much better quality. An inaccurate toy can be very frustrating.

If you have a recommendation, please post.
Red Ryders are good enough for the hundreds of Scouts I train, they'd be good enough for your granddaughter. I've seen some kids, like my son, who can get 10s all day with them at a Scout range (15-30 feet). There's also the smaller Daisy model 10, I got one of those for the smaller kids who can't shoulder the Red Ryder. Get her one of those and a string of balloons or tin cans and she'll have a blast. Once in a while I'll take it out and see what I can do with it, I still love that little gun. There is a learning curve, that trigger is a hard pull and you have to teach them to cock it without sweeping the whole range, but once they got it it's cheap fun.

Another option is to look into airsoft. They make smaller guns and the inexpensive ones are surprisingly accurate for plastic bbs.
stinkbait likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Crosman made a very nice metal and wood co2 bolt rifle, I had one I'm sorry I sold, forget the model #. I would suggest co2 for a child as pumps and break barrels can be hard for a youngster to use by themselves.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:47 PM
New Arrival

Posted same on another thread. CMP made exception for public and sells a good single pump youth gun used for $105. Check their store, it’s a Daisy and some have reported nice aftermarket sights included while others received bare bones setup. All give good reviews on accuracy and CMP reseals them.

If money no object a pcp is nice. Requires HPA source, local Fire Station, Dive Shop, or if an extremist you could rent Nitrogen tank from Airgas or similar. I’ve used Marauder, RSII Toggle Action, and even had custom .30 cal rifles built at one time. I have a vintage Silver Streak here but pumping would be an issue if I didn’t help them. I’m thinking of going custom P-Rod style with carbine stock. Haven’t spent much time around airguns in 3-4 years so dated on info probably. ArcherAir offered a decent package on dual cartridge C02 that was one hole shooter at 30’ but in PA C02 not good choice with cold weather.

TX200 is another fine choice but weigh around 9lbs so not kid friendly really. That’s the only Springer I’d consider for Youth though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page