SRA Effective Date? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By teufel hunden
  • 1 Post By Mikej

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

SRA Effective Date?

Ok, I read that the PGC adopted a measure to allow air rifles to be used in the Special Regs Areas, but I could not find the exact date they will be permitted. The articles I've read only state that "it will take approximately six to eight weeks" for the change to become official, but it was not clear six to eight weeks FROM WHEN, and is it 6 or 8 weeks?

Anyone know the actual effective date?

Thanks.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Regular Visitor

From what I understand the decision to use air power was approved in March of 2017. Its good to go.

I do NOT believe that just happened...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yes Squirrel247, but from my understanding that approval did not include the Special Regulations Areas, because they are covered under a separate section of laws or something. They had to adopt a separate measure to allow the SRAs to be included, which was recently done from what I am reading. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Part of the Community

Uncle J,

You are correct about semi auto rifles and air gun authorization coming later than the rest of the state. Watch the PGC website for an announcement when they are printed in the PA Bulletin and become "official". Should be within the next couple weeks. Here is the news release the PGC put out when the vote was taken in late September.

AIR GUN, SEMIAUTOMATIC USE EXTENDED TO SPECIAL REGULATIONS AREAS

When the Pennsylvania Game Commission in April approved the use of semiautomatic rifles and air guns for hunting small game and furbearers, the provision could not be extended to the state’s Special Regulations Areas, which are covered under a separate section of the law.

But a measure adopted today by the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners will allow hunters and trappers within Special Regulations Areas also to use semiautomatic rifles and air guns.

It will take approximately six to eight weeks for the changes to become official.

Only rimfire ammunition will be allowed when hunting or trapping with semiautomatic rifles in Special Regulations Areas.

Special Regulations Areas include all of Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties, and Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks during special controlled hunts.

Hunters within Special Regulations Areas must follow different guidelines than in other parts of the state, and have been limited to using manually operated rimfire rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading long guns and archery equipment.

The amendment adds air rifles to that list, and lifts the requirement that rimfire rifles be manually operated.

Air guns will need to be between .177 and .22 caliber when used within Special Regulations Areas to hunt small game, woodchucks or furbearers.

Semiautomatic rifles would need to be .22 caliber or less to hunt small game, woodchucks or furbearers within Special Regulations Areas.

Regulatory changes become official upon their publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
Uncle Johnny likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Looks like it was published today and should be effective tomorrow.

https://www.pabulletin.com/secure/da...7-46/1880.html
Uncle Johnny likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Awesome. Thanks so much for the information!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in