Air rifle question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Potter Co. Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Air rifle question

I now see Air Rifles that come with report supressor, how quiet are they?

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

The air rifle community refers to them as LDC or shrouds...beside, you spelled suppressor incorrectly.

It's just like everything else, it depends on the caliber you are shooting. If you want back yard quiet, you will be shooting .177, .22 or .25 caliber air rifles. When you go 9mm/.357 air rifles, those things are loud to begin with, so an LCD isn't going to make them back yard quiet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been shooting springers for going on 15 years now and I have never heard a SOUND MODERATOR called a LDC or Lead Dust Collector. Further, barrel shrouds do nothing to quiet an air rifle other than to allow a "buffer zone" of air apace between the actual barrel and the outer shroud to catch vibration noise if you will. The major variable is whether the projectile is sexiting the muzzle at super or sub sonic velocities. The faster the pellet the more "report" is heard due tomair resistance.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info, I'm looking into the 177 cal. and am looking for back yard quiet
due to Squirrel problems.
I'll make sure I use Spell Check in the future, wouldn't want to insult the Air Riffle Community.

Sniff Sniff, smells like a Golf Country Club.
BillHjr and Pahack like this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:44 AM

IMO, I would look into at least a 22 cal. or 25 cal. air rifle that shoots under 1000 fps if you want quiet

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:15 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung View Post
I have been shooting springers for going on 15 years now and I have never heard a SOUND MODERATOR called a LDC or Lead Dust Collector. Further, barrel shrouds do nothing to quiet an air rifle other than to allow a "buffer zone" of air apace between the actual barrel and the outer shroud to catch vibration noise if you will. The major variable is whether the projectile is sexiting the muzzle at super or sub sonic velocities. The faster the pellet the more "report" is heard due tomair resistance.
You never HEARD a SOUND MODERATOR called a LDC (Lead Dust Collector) because it was so quiet.

Seriously though, suppressor, moderator, LDC is all interchangeable due to the climate being scared of "silencers".

You are correct though in that if the projectile will fly super sonic it doesn't matter what is attached to the barrel.

Potter Co Joe if you want a quiet gun one of the quietest on the market is the Gamo Whisper Fusion series which come in .177 or .22 but the quietest advertised rifle is the Umarex Fusion .177 CO2 bolt action and it is known for being very accurate as well.

I agree the .22 is better for dispatching tree rats BUT a well placed shot with a .177 will do the trick. Also if you have houses close by the .177 would be more neighbor friendly too.

I do NOT believe that just happened...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768 View Post
IMO, I would look into at least a 22 cal. or 25 cal. air rifle that shoots under 1000 fps if you want quiet
Agree - keep them subsonic and no one, not even the pest, will know you are flinging lead at them. 800ft/sec, all about ft/lb of power to dispatch pests.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe8768 View Post
Even a non suppressed .22 with an actual 700FPS muzzle velocity can have a noticeable report. Not as much as a standard velocity .22 rimfire but it can grab some attention.

I do NOT believe that just happened...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel247 View Post
You never HEARD a SOUND MODERATOR called a LDC (Lead Dust Collector) because it was so quiet.

Seriously though, suppressor, moderator, LDC is all interchangeable due to the climate being scared of "silencers".

You are correct though in that if the projectile will fly super ffsonic it doesn't matter what is attached to the barrel.

Potter Co Joe if you want a quiet gun one of the quietest on the market is the Gamo Whisper Fusion series which come in .177 or .22 but the quietest advertised rifle is the Umarex Fusion .177 CO2 bolt action and it is known for being very accurate as well.

I agree the .22 is better for dispatching tree rats BUT a well placed shot with a .177 will do the trick. Also if you have houses close by the .177 would be more neighbor friendly too.
An air rifle is not a firearm. They don't use powder or primer so the term LDC is not applicable. There is no burnt/unburnt power residue or lead gas to capture. Suppressors capture expanding gasses that creat the boom, hide flash and reduce muzzle flip. Air rifles simply don't create any of those tombe controlled. I have taken game up to large raccoon, groundhog and turkey with .177 springers (NOT in PA), but .22 on up are much better choices imo. The only caliber I don't like is .20 cal. Hard to find good, accurate projectiles in even less popular guns. . 22 or .25 shrouded ans/or moderated guns will be MUCH quieter than any .22 rimfire round save cb type rounds and should virtually always be more accurate with practice.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:03 PM
The Man

As I understand it, to the letter of the law, .25 cal pellet rifles are ONLY legal for woodchucks.................not small game.

"

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page