Welcome to the NEW Air Rifle Forum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Smile Welcome to the NEW Air Rifle Forum

Due to the many requests that we've gotten to have a forum for air rifles here it is.

I for one am looking forward to getting educated on these air rifles.

Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Awesome I had to be the first to make a post

Looking for a good night light to attached to my RSW

Life Member NRA
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

and I will be the 2nd. do they make a flint model? not that I will get one, but really interested in others posts as well.

Last edited by blackpowder; 08-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Also looking to get educated. I have owned a Benjamin Titan NP 22cal break barrel for about a year and just recently started to get serious about shooting the gun and trying some accuracy out of it. Have tried several different pellets all with mixed results. Some days accuracy is outstanding, like 5 shots touching at 20 yds,and other days accuracy is very poor. Trying to figure all of this out and get some consistency.

Any help and or advice will be welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by crappie-hunter; 08-18-2017 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Part of the Community

I have a Benjamin Titan NP break barrel but in 177 cal and have also experienced mixed results. It should be broke-in by now (about 300 pellets shot). Only thing I can figure is wind. These pellets are very light.

Glad to see this forum, should be fun.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:31 AM
New Arrival

Once you try a PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) there will be no turning back. LOL!

-This is a Kalibrgun Cricket .25 Cal.

Over the years I picked up a few PCP rifles in the following calibers: .177, .22, and .25 caliber. Yes, I was the guy that said he would never buy an expensive pellet rifle. Well, my line of thinking changed the moment I fired my first shot.
If you are looking to try a PCP rifle, a good starting point is a Benjamin Discovery Single shot rifle. They come in .177 and .22 calibers. Being that PCP's need to be pumped up to fill the air reservoir, a high pressure hand pump will also be needed. Once the air chamber is pumped up, the rifle is good for many shots. Another good choice in a repeating rifle is the Benjamin Marauder. These are a magazine feed bolt actions, in calibers .177, .22, and .25 caliber.

If folks are interested in seeing photos of the above rifles let me know and I'll get some taken. If I can answer a few questions any one might have, ask away. These are not the BB guns and pellet rifles we grew up with as kids. The more you shoot them, the sooner you will learn that pellet rifles are typically ammo fussy. So try several different brands of pellets in varying weights. My experience has tended to show that most of my rifles seem to prefer heavier pellet weights. The high velocity, light weight alloy pellets have been marginal at best. So don't be afraid to try several brands and weights.

HuntnCarve
Dave
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:53 PM
New Arrival

I just ordered a Umarex Torq. Its a springer. After doing some internet research, it seemed like the best bang for the buck. It was only $100 at Walmart.com. It probably will need a better scope. I also ordered a variety pack of pellets to try. I got it as a starter air rifle, if I find I like to hunt squirrels with the air rifle I might move up to something more high end. I always like getting new toys. Now that air rifles are legal it was a good excuse.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Maybe I'm asking too much from my titan. I have been shootin at 20-30yds. If I move in to 10-15yds everything is right there in a small clover leaf cluster.

If I am going to hunt squirrel ,I think I need at least 1" group at 30yds. 30yd groups now sometimes exceed 1 1/2 in.

I guess I'm used to 22 rimfires that shoot 3/4 at 50yd.

What do you guys expect from your air rifles?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:22 PM
New Arrival

Jeepingman, make sure the scope you pick is designed for Spring powered pellet rifles. The 2-way recoil of the spring will eat up many scopes that would work on a powder burner rifle. Something to keep in mind.
crappie-hunter, just depends on the air rifle? The high end rifles are phenomenally accurate and should mirror the powder burners at the range you mentioned. The Cricket pictured above will shoot into the same hole shot after shot at 25 yards. Here's a three shot group at 25 yards with the rifle resting on the porch rail. The dots are 1/2" and the pellets .25 caliber for perspective.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntnCarve View Post
The high end rifles are phenomenally accurate and should mirror the powder burners at the range you mentioned. The Cricket pictured above will shoot into the same hole shot after shot at 25 yards.
The thing, though, is that your Cricket cost around $1500, right? That's more of an investment than I know I'd care to make in an air rifle, just in order to get decent precision.

The $300-400 price point seems to be more reasonable (for my wallet). Even so, when you add the costs of a decent scope, and the equipment for recharging... you're not talking about something that's any cheaper for hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page