The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

300 WSM

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  mackgee 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Savage 11 GNS in the 300 WSM. I've n really been much of a Savage person over the years, but got a good deal on this one. How are these guns and what are do you all load for the 300 WSM? Thanks!

#3 ·
Great cartridge, right up there between the /06 & 300wm, not too bad on the shoulder, but bad enough to get uncomfortable off the bench after 8 shots... If your hand loading H-4350seems to be THE powder, bullets either Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX, those will handle anything you'd need to harvest, enjoy and hold on, also, buy as many casings as you can find, NOW, do not wait !

#4 ·
6-DASHER said:
Great cartridge, right up there between the /06 & 300wm, not too bad on the shoulder, but bad enough to get uncomfortable off the bench after 8 shots... If your hand loading H-4350seems to be THE powder, bullets either Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX, those will handle anything you'd need to harvest, enjoy and hold on, also, buy as many casings as you can find, NOW, do not wait !
I'm learning that regarding cases! I plan to stock up.

#6 ·
My son has 270 WSM Winchester model 70 ultra light. Super nice rifle mild recoil. Only complaint I would say is cost of ammo and cost of brass to reload and availability of brass. I would tell you to try Nostlet BT or Sierra game kings if you are whitetail hunting. You don't need a bullet designed to kill an elk or moose to kill a deer. Get a bullet designed to kill a deer.

#7 ·
I'm seeing more and more of the cartridges showing up as trade ins and their value has dropped considerably lately, guys are just sick and tired of searching for brass and when finding it being fleeced for 100 fps more than the old standbys. The wssm's are incredibly difficult to find, even the stand bye are not as prevalent as they were just a year ago, 50 bags from Remington/Winchester rarer than filled hen's teeth...not sure what the future of any of the cartridges introduced in the last 20 years is, but it's not bright !! Now the RUM casing are showing shortages, look for these rifles to start showing up on the used racks, sad part is most are awesome cartridges but this is what happens when Wall Street enters our world, Profits !!!

#11 ·
winchesterbob said:
4350 is the powder..I load H4350 and the 180 AccuBond. Great accuracy in a couple different .300 WSMs and lethal on whitetails...
Same here.I bought a stainless stalker when they first came out and then bought a Kimber Montanna.I love everything about it except for the availability of brass,which I can't understand.I personally don't find them obnoxious to shoot,even out of such a light rifle.I was told by Midway and Brownell's that win discontinued making brass.How true that is.I don't know.

#13 ·
They are close but not exact, H-4350 is almost impossible to find but IMR can be found. For whatever reason I've always had better luck in the accuracy department with H...maybe it's me, I don't know. But I see lots of them used at all types of long range shooting matches and the vast majority use H-4350.. who knows maybe yours will like the IMR, try it and see..good luck

#15 ·
I'd look really hard for Hodgden, IMR is similar but you'll get your best results from Hodgden. I know of only a couple guys that substitute something other than H4350 and it isn't IMR. If you can't find H4350 try H4831, some guys are using Vihtavuori but most of the guys shooting competition and winning are using Hodgden.

I know hunting and competition are 2 entirely different disciplines but I personally like to hear from the people that are always shooting and looking for the best accuracy possible. Competition shooter's do just that and do it in volumes that a lot of people can't comprehend

#18 ·
64 grains of Win 760, Fed 215 mag primer and 180 gr Ballistic Silver Tip.
65.5gr Win 760, Fed 215, and either a 165gr or 168gr Ballistic Silver Tip.
Both of those loads are safe in the gun I load for (Win Mod 70).

Please start lower and work up in your rifle.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.