The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Winchester LR Primers/new style.

814 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  tdd 
#1 ·
I have 200 of them and started to put them into some once fired Winchester 06 brass today. These are the newer brass type,not chrome plated now? They went in to the pockets way to easy. I only put in 10 or so and didn't like the way they seated. To easy??? I removed them and went to my CCI-200-LR primers. These went in and seated as if it were new brass and snug fit?
Wow,guys,everything is becoming so low grade or second best,it hurts?
I got some new Remington 30-06 brass. I watch the Midway and Midsouth sites everyday and get notices when things are in stock.
I got a notice from Midway 18 months back there was some Remington brass in stock. I grab up 100 of them.
I run my new brass thru a FLS die to get the necks rounded out and then check the case lengths with a Lee case trimmer thing. 21 of the brass were short,by 20th.
I got some new Winchester brass a while ago,loaded some up,took it to the range and come home to redo it and a bunch of the necks had cracked?
Bummer!

#2 ·
I had neck cracking issues with WW brass, too (300WSM). I got credit for them and used it to buy primers. Had three duds from a brick. They gave me such a run around to send them back and replace them that I just keep using them. One failed to detonate when I pulled the trigger on a buck in South Carolina a couple years ago. Luckily, he was focused on his intended girlfriend who was trying to avoid him, and he didn't notice me enough to care. I got a new round in and walloped him anyway, lol.

Had two more like it occur at the range.

Since then, not issues. I've used about half the brick. I should just set it aside and buy new ones and use that brick only for range work, I guess.

I have WW brass for my 270 and have had no issues (knock on wood), other than the pockets are getting loose faster than I think they should, as I'm not running it THAT hot. No cracked necks yet....

#4 ·
I have CCI's. The pockets did loosen on that 270 brass. I'll probably wind up replacing it, but they're not that bad for now. They're not close to being unuseable, just not as snug as they were when new.

I've heard a lot of reports of WW brass cracking.

Your annealing thread makes me realize I should anneal my 270 brass to make sure they don't start doing it too, lol.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.