The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Crossbow regret

9K views 71 replies 48 participants last post by  Hunter58 
#1 ·
Does anyone regret going to a crossbow?

#4 ·
regret? I never regret buying any weapon. Love em all.
I have wished I'd bought a better model but have just sold and upgraded.
I use my x bow for around the yard. Ive taken it deer hunting a handful of times. Mostly windy days that I really wanted to hunt. Personally, hunting 20'+ high, and "decorating" the hang-ons drawing back isn't as challenging as it use to be. Its not much of an advantage. Esp due to the clumsy wingspan.

#6 ·
Glad I purchased one. I wasn't in favor of them at first but they are a lot of fun to shoot and they definitely have their place in our hunting community.

I do think there will be some changes to the archery season because of them but I'm fine with that also.

#7 ·
No regret's for me. Personally I still use both a compound and a crossbow, just depends on what I feel like taking on any given day.

As long as you can block out the few "archers" who cant except the fact that a crossbow is just another tool used in the control of Pa's deer heard there should be no regrets. Ultimately if you dont like the crossbow there is nothing saying you cant go back to what you used before.

Good luck, Tony

#9 ·
Ah yes, a tale of Cash, Cash inclusion and fairy tales.
The PGC got their wish, that wish came in the form of Ca$h. More cash from juicy infusions from the fabled Xbow Mfg's. And more cash from the converted "jealous" gun hunters in the form of "archery" stamp sales and revenue. Cash inclusions from all the "slush fund" capitol the XBow MFG's stashed in the pockets of the PGC to make sure it got passed. Then, have the NRA pile on and have a spin (Even $Hillary would be proud of) that no inclusion of a weapon that was included in just about every other state would be biased. And the fairy tales spun on the "herd management tools" and how it would not make a dent in the over all harvests.

Yup, it is all so clear, as if it was yesterday but in fact it was years ago. But alas boys and girls it is a moot point as the battle for Pa. was fought and the bowhunters of Pa. lost. Cash and capitalism within the PGC ranks got their juicy infusion of Ca$h and the Xbow MFG's got their inclusion. It all worked out, gun hunters can not claim archers shoot all the deer (which was never the case before) and now they get to buy an "archery" stamp and shoot all the deer they claimed we did every year...Yup good times.

#10 ·
Yeah, and as a side note if they were going to "stick" it to all the archers by the inclusion, they could have given us Sunday Hunting to ease the pain of a Ca$h defeat. And, yes Ca$h was what made all the difference, never let anyone fool you. Just look inside page 9 of the new 2016 hunting and trapping reg's that come with your license. If you look closely you can see a picture of Gary Alt, smiling and pointing at you saying "doe harvests should have been done like this 20 years ago", but you guys hated me.

#16 ·
I bought one but it was mostly for family to use. I don't like it. While it is fast, deadly accurate and powerful, I just don't like carrying it or the fact that you are limited in shooting space with an xbow. I bought a new compound over the winter and will hunt with that from now on.

#17 ·
wow, somebody is bitter.....sheesh

SRA-5C+ said:
Yeah, and as a side note if they were going to "stick" it to all the archers by the inclusion, they could have given us Sunday Hunting to ease the pain of a Ca$h defeat. And, yes Ca$h was what made all the difference, never let anyone fool you. Just look inside page 9 of the new 2016 hunting and trapping reg's that come with your license. If you look closely you can see a picture of Gary Alt, smiling and pointing at you saying "doe harvests should have been done like this 20 years ago", but you guys hated me.

#22 ·
I regretted getting one and sold it 3 years later. Just wasn't as rewarding for me to kill with. Shot 3 bucks and a bunch of doe with it before I decided to sell it and get a new bow. I kind wish I would have held onto it when I go to Ohio to trophy hunt. It was definitely a better killing tool for me, especially out of my summit goliath that I use for all day sits. I can't have the seat high enough for optimum comfort without risking hitting the rail on close shots.

#23 ·
Had a 12 year consecutive buck kill streak with my Matthews compound and during the summer of year 13 I injured my shoulder & couldn't effectively shoot my Matthews. I bought a crossbow so I could hunt the bow season. Very easy to zero in but that's where the easiness ended. I hunt from thickly branched treestand locations & the crossbow clumsiness caused me to screw up on 5 different decent bucks ending the year with no bow kill. Extremely hard to make sharp angle shots around branches, tree trunk etc where my Matthews was a piece of cake. Plus the crossbow was heavy and noisy.

To me the only advantage of the crossbow over a highly tricked out compound is shooting off the bench where you want to lay one on top of another in a 10 ring. They're fun but IMO far less of an effective hunting tool vs a top of the line compound. As far as an effective hunting tool for my style of hunting......it was a major handicap to put things lightly. Was glad to return to my Matthews after one year hunting with the crossbow. Hopefully, I can stay healthy enough to stay with my compound!!

#24 ·
BOOTOXEN said:
wow, somebody is bitter.....sheesh

SRA-5C+ said:

Nope, you could not sense the irony in that? As I have said many times before, the battle for Pa was fought and the bowhunters lost. It was a long time ago and a moot point. But that does not stop people from stoking the fire that has long since burned out.

#26 ·
Tony300wby said:
No regret's for me. Personally I still use both a compound and a crossbow, just depends on what I feel like taking on any given day.

As long as you can block out the few "archers" who cant except the fact that a crossbow is just another tool used in the control of Pa's deer heard there should be no regrets. Ultimately if you dont like the crossbow there is nothing saying you cant go back to what you used before.

Good luck, Tony

I was one of "those guys" but everyone here straightened me out! Happy Hunting folks, see ya out there!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.