The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Hunt option for kids.

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Bluemoonfox 
#1 ·
I am thinking about taking my boys on a trip in 2017. The idea is to make it a Christmas gift. I usually set a limit of 3-400$ per kid. I think this should get me close to a Hog Hunt. I would like to keep it less than an 8hr drive from NW PA.

I would also consider an out of state turkey hunt.

Any ideas on public ground or an outfitter?

#2 ·
I think i would take them to a place like Tioga boar preserve.

I personally never went to one of these fence hunts but I wish I would have taken my son when he was little. maybe if I did he would have liked hunting. I did take him out for doe hunting & squirrel hunting, but we never harvested anything and he lost interest.

#4 ·
If you don't mind driving a little further you could go down to Georgia. My son and I went to this place a few years ago. We weren't successful, but had a good time. We took food for our own meals. This was about the most reasonable hunt I could find. This is no fence, wild hogs.

http://www.happyacresexpeditions.com/ratespage.html#hogdeer

#10 ·
The boys will be 13 this fall. Gage has been very successful over the last few years killing 2 5pts and 4 doe. He has also taken pheasant and squirrels.

Aidan, my stepson has only hunted for 2 seasons. But he has gotten his first deer last season.

For the record, they put alot of time in each fall.

Just thought a weekend trip would be a good experience for them.

#14 ·
I took my son to Mohr's (the island) when he was 7 years old for ram. For a 7 year old, it was fun, and we had a good time. For anyone over the age of maybe 10, it would be a joke. The pigs are definitely barnyard animals. I'm surprised they didn't have collars with Wilbur name tags.
The rams were a little more tricky, but still a 100% hunt and you would be done by noon. There is no fence, but the pigs don't run away. These aren't boars - they are pink farm pigs.

#15 ·
The pigs don't run away, they swim away!! Wait to you have to go a mile down river after one once then have to haul it back!! Or have a 750lb hog chase you while your buddies are laughing too hard to shoot it! Is it "hunting" NO! Is it a fun day with family and friends where you get a chance to fill your freezer, 100% YES! And his hogs used to be bred with Russians until most would swim from the island!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.