The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Jelly

6K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Guest3 
#1 ·
So far this year, I canned 7 pints and 12 1/2 pints of red raspberry.

7 1/2 pints of black raspberry

24 1/2 pints of plum (from my tree)

and am making mulberry this morning. Should get (7) 1/2 pints

Anyone else make jelly?

I give them as Christmas gifts to friends and family each year. Still have peach and blackberry to go!

#3 ·
Well gal, summer on a farm leaves little time for prcessing jelly when there farming to do, and canning veggies. We freeze the barries and wait until some really cold rainy day in late autumn or winter, and then make jelly. In fact, on New Years day of 2008, we made about a dozen pints of blueberry jam. We don't eat enough jelly to be worthwhile making much. I found some Lime marmalade in the bottom of the pantry that I made in 2006. (I bought 80 lbs of limes for $4 at the produce auction) Last night, I caught my wife and daughter eating some of the rasberries we froze.

In fact, last night at the produce auction, Mrs. bought a flat of peaches for $5.00. really good ones. And a bushel of apples, three heads of cabbage, a case of carrots, and I don't remember what else.

We dry some of the stone fruit in a dehydrator for winter consumption. Cherries, plums, peaches etc.

I got 20 pounds of fresh ginger root at the auction for 25 cents. yep 1.2 cents a pound, Maybe add some zing to the jelly.

#4 ·
Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!

#6 ·
GalThatFishes said:
Zim,

I froze the mulberries several weeks ago, and since today was rainy, I took the time to make it. Going to whip another batch of plum out today too if I can get motivated enough to go get more sugar!

I got 11 jars from the mulberry, and stained hands.

Where in the heck are these produce auctions? I just may have to get to one of them!
Famersville, Lancaster County. My sister used to live very close by. She got tremendous buys, like 10 cents apiece for cantaloupes.

Everybody head out there and bid up the prices! I hate to see the farmers get such low amounts for their work.

#8 ·
Hey Gal, there is another auction between kittanning and new Beth...i need to look at a map and see if I can find it. My MIL and her beau go there every thursday...

Just called her...it's in Dayton, off of 28 towards and eventually through Belknap and technically it's a livestock auction, but they have TONS of produce and other edibles. Last week they got like 10 lbs of lebanon bologna for 5 bucks...which they froze and I'll undoubtedly get some for xmas

#21 ·
GalThatFishes said:
I get burned when I do blueberry.

I also learned to NEVER make blueberry into shine! It explodes and everything turns blue for 30 feet!!

HUH?????

What the Heck are you doing to try and make blueberries into Shine and it is Exploding?

Ya gotta let the gas escape when your fermenting the juice that will later go into a condensor to cook only the alcohol off!

#22 ·
I had no clue what I was doing. Had it in a cabinet in the basement- was upstairs and heard a loud <span style="color: #FF0000"> <span style='font-size: 17pt'> BANG</span> </span>

Followed by a series of <span style="color: #FF0000"> <span style='font-size: 17pt'> BANGS</span> </span>

When I thought it was safe, I came down to look! The cabinet doors were blown open, blue everywhere! Glass all over the place! And the smell!

Lets just say it wasn't pretty and thank heavens for pressure washers, shop vacs, and paint!

As far as the sippy cup thing... well, that was just funny there!

#24 ·
re produce auctions We go to the one at Roots Farmers Mkt, about 4 miles south of Mannheim, PA. Every tuesday evening. My dad went to that one 50 years ago. There are several others scatterred around the state. Some are listed in the Lancaster Farming paper. There was a large one at the Gibertsville Farmers Mkt on Saturday nights but it has been 10 years since I was there. There a local auction house here that is starting to sell excess produce in the summer time. I should have hauled a few bushel of squash down there last night.

#25 ·
Greencastle Livestock auction has a produce auction every Monday,starts @ 7p.m.I think.Last time I was there they were selling chickens,produce,snapping turtles,pheasants,quail etc,etc...Spoke to a guy a few days ago who bought several dozen quail peeps for 60 cents apiece.

#26 ·
GalThatFishes said:
I had no clue what I was doing. Had it in a cabinet in the basement- was upstairs and heard a loud BANG

Followed by a series of BANGS

When I thought it was safe, I came down to look! The cabinet doors were blown open, blue everywhere! Glass all over the place! And the smell!

Lets just say it wasn't pretty and thank heavens for pressure washers, shop vacs, and paint!

As far as the sippy cup thing... well, that was just funny there!
So...what your not explaining is...

WHAT did you have it in and was the Top Covered Tight??

I'm trying to figure out what you did Wrong that the bottles blew up.....you had to have been trying to ferment in something that the Gas could not escape or you already had it fermented and put it in a bottle and Never Stopped the Fermentation!?????

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.