The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Burl hunting

7K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Fall Sniper 
#1 ·
Not really "hunting" related, but I went out this past weekend looking for some burls, because I love wood working. Just wanted to share some of the beauty found in Burls.

See less See more
#4 ·
A burl (American English) or bur or burr (used in all non-US English speaking countries[citation needed]) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds

#11 ·
treemouse said:
PA, Watch the Filthy Riches show on the Nat. Geo. channel if you can get it. There are burl hunters on that show that take out big burls with equipment. They get thousands of dollars for some of those burls. You can pull it up online too.
I did watch it! Some of those burls are massive. But most of the ones they got were out in California. My next venture may be to go eel fishing lol

#12 ·
I could show you many of these near my home . But, many are on private property . How do you treat the tree after cutting the Burl off ? My EX's grandfather was a very accomplished woodworker . He made many salad & soup bowls out of burls . Beautiful pieces ....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.