The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Day 6 -- Saturday, December 5

10K views 63 replies 55 participants last post by  BCozhunter 
#1 ·
Shooting hours are over for Friday, so I might as well begin Saturday's thread.

I shot a huge 6-point on Monday, in the neighborhood of 200 pounds field dressed. Just about have him put away, so I was looking forward to getting out to fill a doe tag in the morning. Wouldn't you know, I had a flat tire, had to drop my truck off to get it fixed, and can't pick it up until morning.

I borrowed my dad's Toyota Avalon to get home tonight, hardly something I want to get dirty or bloody. So, I probably can't get out until afternoon.

Good luck to all.

Steve.

#3 ·
Saw a few doe Monday and 1 doe on Tuesday. Not a single thing yesterday and had to work today. I have all day tomorrow, going out on SGL 281 in Perry County. My question as a somewhat newer hunter (3 years, never seen a buck. Don't have much good hunting land) is with the situation tomorrow; relative slow season all around and the poor weather conditions this past week (hotter/rainy), should I find my spot and try to sit there all day, or should I be moving around from spot to spot and sitting for 30mins-hour?

#4 ·
I'm really hoping to have more deer moving compared to monday since theres less moonlight and its looks to get colder overnight, although not much cooler during the day. Couple that with hopefully more hunters/shots pushing deer. I plan to sit on my escape route and hope for them to move

#5 ·
U
Crossland2035 said:
Saw a few doe Monday and 1 doe on Tuesday. Not a single thing yesterday and had to work today. I have all day tomorrow, going out on SGL 281 in Perry County. My question as a somewhat newer hunter (3 years, never seen a buck. Don't have much good hunting land) is with the situation tomorrow; relative slow season all around and the poor weather conditions this past week (hotter/rainy), should I find my spot and try to sit there all day, or should I be moving around from spot to spot and sitting for 30mins-hour?
I'd sit all day but maybe a spot in the morning and one in the afternoon. If you move that much you may be in a good area but miss the time deer will be there.

#7 ·
Took a DMAP in 3D today, still have 3C doe tag but due to family coming up tomorrow to cut Christmas trees so there is only 4 hours left of my rifle season for this year for a buck.
I will be hunting in 3D for a buck.
From the looks of the Hickory Run camp area and the crowd at area restaurants and bars a lot of hunters must be up because the ski areas arn't open.
Hopefully things will be moving early.

#12 ·
First day to get a real hunt in. Hunting out of my climber until 10 then meeting up with a novice Hunter and showing him around and teaching him about the public ground we hunt. Hope to put him on some deer. It's pretty cold out there this morning in 2c. Good luck everyone.

#15 ·
TurkeyMike said:
First day to get a real hunt in. Hunting out of my climber until 10 then meeting up with a novice Hunter and showing him around and teaching him about the public ground we hunt. Hope to put him on some deer. It's pretty cold out there this morning in 2c. Good luck everyone.
by showing him around do you mean taking him to where you know there are no deer and wishing for a little black rain cloud directly over his head all day?

#22 ·
In 2F. Stayed on the lease and somewhat regretting it right now. One of the only guys hunting is in my dang spot lol...

But pressure around the area isn't what I thought it'd be...its quiet...our place has sgls on the border I'm closest to...I thought there'd be shooting and deer running in here...

Saw one group at first light...couldn't make em out and they Winded me...

Still hunted to my other spot...gunna sit an hour or so then still hunt a bit and meet up with my other 4 guys at noonish..

#24 ·
Was done on Monday no more tags. Just not into July and August and thinking about hunting. Too busy farming.

Heading out to more them around for junior hunters.

The group seen 7 bucks and 2 doe Monday, only shot the one. He was making his fast track by Neighbor's houses had to be careful and wait for shot he stopped in brush gave me the few second to check for houses and back ground (back stop)for bullet. He stepped I lead and shot. He ran. As it turned out a good shot he just had enough in him to run 150 yds. without lungs.

And as always Thankful!! Time to make sausage reg. and hot (mild),stew meat and fillets.

#25 ·
I've heard a lot of shots. A couple were about 20 minutes early.
and some goofball crossed the fence from the neighbors property and set up below me in the dark. Watched his light the whole way. Flashed him and he stopped. I think he was heading to my buddy's stand. He stayed there until my buddy and his son showed up
Politely asked to leave.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.