The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

257 Roberts Improved

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Hiamovi 
#1 ·
Any load suggestions for Nosler 115 Partitions?Is it a reasonable assumption since the round is improved a little more charge will work over standard 257 Roberts data?

#2 ·
Get yourself a loading book with Improved "Bob" data in it. Yes, "a little more charge" can be used in the improved case but get a manual with proven data. Without it you'll be merely guessing...and in handloading guessing will likely get you in trouble sooner rather then later.

Muab Dib

#6 ·
Whatever you decide, you picked one of the nicest medium sized cartridges ever made...great dual purpose round, not that much different that the 25/06..been around for a long time and certainly deserves far more of a following than it present has..SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT!

#7 ·
Actually it is not my gun.It belongs to my best friend and he told me he has been shooting 257 Roberts off the shelf.I have reloading equipment and he doesn't.We have been friends for 38 years and he has done very kind things for me.So I took it upon myself to order dies in that caliber and his choice of bullets.On my dime and I'm trying to get an idea of the best powder to buy since it will not get as many test loads as I would do for myself.I don't really want to try a bunch of powders because he only hunts deer with the gun if unsuccessful during archery season.Free bullets may get him to the range more and I'm sure loading improved will be much better than buying regular 257 Roberts.He has his once fired cases so that helps.He gave me a flintlock,thats the kind of friend he is.Took him a long time to build it from scratch.He takes classes for making flintlocks so that gun is special to me.

#9 ·
I called another good friend.He gave me a good starting load.I have no idea why I din't call him first.I will let you know how it works.I was suprised by the difference in the case between 257 Roberts and 257 Roberts improved.It is a major difference.I have fired 257 improved and unfired 257 here now.

#10 ·
Well my friend is very happy.Accuracy is up but it did need to be sighted in again.Recoil is not much more than the 257 Roberts and he had a smile on his face and said he is going to buy some more brass.Mission accomplished.I was betting if the gun shot a lot better he would shoot more.I even let him measure his own powder,charge the case and seat the bullet.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.