The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Scope issue

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Slay 
#1 ·
A few days ago around 20 minutes before quitting time I had a doe come out I was going to take. Turned on my illum. reticle and all I had was like someone placed a colored screen over the lens. Regardless what setting that is what I had. The next morning I turned it on with good light it worked fine. I went and replaced it and new scope worked perfect under previous conditions as other ones. Anyone know what happened or had this issue.

#2 ·
I have a rangemaster pro scope on my tenpoint. I can make it illuminate in red or green dots. What I have found is that in low light the lowest setting of brightness using red dots works best. When I tried to use the green dots, it obscured my vision and cast a green hue throughout the lens.

It could be that perhaps not everyone's eyes are equal in light gathering abilities and for those with some degree of color blindness. The only way to find out is to go out at dusk and test the various color and brightness settings and see what occurs.

Personally, I loathe red dot sights and only payed for this one because the scope reticles are always visible without needing to turn on the lighted dots. I once had red dot scope that came with a Parker crossbow i bought. When the battery died, it was useless (no reticles). Besides, sometimes you just don't have time to fiddle with turning that rheostat on when your target suddenly appears at close range.

I sure wish scope makers would place the rheostat knob on the other side for us right handed shooters. It is a pain to have to reach up and over to turn it on when critters are coming in. That movement may cost you dearly.

#3 ·
We usually turn ours on about an hour before dark in the evening and when we get to the stand in the morning. Don't really need it except right towards the end of shooting light. I know of some complaints about some illum reticles scopes that it floods out the scope and you aren't able to see even on the lowest setting when it gets in low light situations. Did you try your new scope in low light?

#4 ·
Yes, new scope worked like other one did before this issue. There is something wrong with it every setting you set it on before dusk its like a solid blog of color you chose. In day time the circles are working right. Just wondering if anyone else had a scope go ad like this. I bought this bow a carbon express in simmer of 14 and last season was good, went south this year.

#5 ·
Slay said:
I sure wish scope makers would place the rheostat knob on the other side for us right handed shooters. It is a pain to have to reach up and over to turn it on when critters are coming in. That movement may cost you dearly.
The rheostat on the left is because the standard scope locations for elevation and windage are top and right. It would need a complete design change from a normal scope layout to put the rheo on the right.

Check out other brands. Some put the IR rheo on the ocular bell, on top or canted to the right 15-20°. Would be a bit easier for adjusting with the right hand.

#6 ·
Oh I understand why the rheostat is on the left side of the scope. But since these scope are strictly made for crossbows and cannot be used on a gun I don't see why they just don't retool them. I turn the rheostat a lot more than I do the windage....that is usually a one and done adjustment.

#9 ·
Outofstater, mine does it on red, no matter the intensity in certain conditions. I believe it has to do with the outside light being gathered by the scope. It doesn't happen all the time though. I like the Green when its dark and the red between dark and sun up.

As far as the light control on the left side of the scope, no issues, most of my long range rifle scopes have side parallax adjustment. Makes me feel right at home.

#10 ·
Yes, but parallax is only an issue at long range. But a crossbow scope is a short range tool. Throwing the scope up at 20-30 yards and not seeing the dots because you couldn't make the movement for fear of giving you away is the concern for me.

I always try and turn the lights on any way when daylight starts to diminish, but it is a pain.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.