Rocky Prolight 16" Snakeboot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Rocky Prolight 16" Snakeboot

Anyone have these boots ? They have them at my local Tractor Supply and was thinking about getting a pair.
I hunt in rattlesnake country and was wondering how they would be for archery in regards to warmth and comfort.
Always have worn rubber boots for archery and even though they may stop a bite I would have a little more peace of mind with something that was actually made specifically for preventing snake bites. Especially when I am out there walking in the dark.
Just looking for some input (even if it's not this particular brand) on how snake boots work out in regards to archery hunting and hiking in rough terrain.

The thing I hate about purchasing new brands of shoes and boots is you never really know how good they are going to be until after you put some miles on them and by then it's usually too late to return them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a pair of Rocky’s and I wouldn’t purchase them again. Rocky’s used to b a great product.

I have Irish setter now. They are fantastic. Lacrosse venom are said to be very good too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightine View Post
I had a pair of Rocky’s and I wouldn’t purchase them again. Rocky’s used to b a great product.

I have Irish setter now. They are fantastic. Lacrosse venom are said to be very good too.
What kind of issues did you have with them ?

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 AM

i used to wear rockys at work, the soles would actually start falling off the boot. happened twice, never bought leather rockys again. the one pair of rocky brand rubber hunting boots i had leaked around the seam, took them back and the replacement pair leaked in the same place. the store owner allowed to switch to muck boots and thats all i have ever worn since then.

not good against snakes though but i am not in rattlesnake country.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I can't comment on the Rockies but I do have a have a pair of Irish Setter snake boots and like the comfort and how light they are but they are by no means waterproof as advertised. I do alot of snake hunting and put some miles on but I would think they would have lasted more than a year for water protection. An easier and cheaper way to go would be to wear your hunting boots to your stand and get some gaiters to wear and take them off when you get to your stand.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I wore the soles off a pair of them Irish setter in 1 summer snake hunting. Really comfortable and water proof. I'd get another pair of them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Part of the Community

I just got a pair of Irish Setter snake boots. Very light and comfortable. I've always worn hiking boots for archery, so I'm still getting used to the 17" height. They feel sturdy enough, but I haven't really put them to the test yet.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Steelhead

The quality is poor. The lacing system, the ability to get them off your feet, the soles coming apart.

But I also am concerned about sole life of the Irish setters as another pair of Irish setters I wearing fast. But the snake boots should last longer because I only wear them 15-20 days a year.

There are very good articles of best snake boots of 2018. 2017. Worth a read.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmedicfrog View Post
I just got a pair of Irish Setter snake boots. Very light and comfortable. I've always worn hiking boots for archery, so I'm still getting used to the 17" height. They feel sturdy enough, but I haven't really put them to the test yet.
Trust me. They ARE NOT WATERPROOF. Maybe some camp dry would help. I dunno. I wore the Irish Setters one year spring gobbler hunting and snake hunting and put some miles on them there boots and the next spring my feet got wet spring turkey hunting. I still wear them snake hunting due to the fact they are "snake proof", but it don't matter much having wet feet in July with a piece of mind.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wear the Danner Pronghorn snake boot. They are the only snake boot I could find with gore tex and they are definitely water proof. You are gonna pay a lot more for them but they are nice.

Free Madcatter!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page