How often do you see a poisonous snake? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Sage

I see one rattlesnake every fifty years or so... So far, two is the count; one when I was 14/15 the other when I was 68 been in sneakers both times....not much protection... but I run faster
300winsniper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Knock on wood, never seen a live venomous snake in PA. Saw a few rattlers run over on the road, but never alive. I'm sure I've walked by them none the wiser.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 03:33 PM

one or two rattlers a year, when I ride my bike on the D&L rail trail. See more black snakes usually.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Now when I visit relatives in Texas, Ark, and Oklahoma I have seen Cottonmouths.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM
The Man

I have seen a fair number of rattlers in NC PA, and I never hunt them. I've seen them in northern Centre, in Clinton, Potter and Tioga.

And I've seen two in Blair County, which I consider mid-state PA, not NC PA.

I've never seen a rattler in any other part of PA.

And I've never seen a cottonmouth.

I've been "buzzed" by rattlers 3 times. Twice in PA and once in eastern Oregon.

The buzzing is designed to get your attention. It works!!
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcadet View Post
I haven't seen any snakes period while picking black raspberries 2-3 days a week for the last 2 month's span picking berries on a farm we hunt. I am aware bear's could be close by. I never encounter a bear but i know they love black berries. I can get a gallon pale full of berries in just 30 minutes in an area i call my honey hole. They are the size of a nickle. I do wear irish setters snake boots. When i see a black raspberries close to the ground, sure snake's come to my mind. I usually stand there start from the top an work my way down, by that time if any snakes around my feet they would had time to go else where, it's safe to put my hands down there to pick them big nickle size raspberries.

I do wonder how many snakes i do walk close by and never knew they were there walking thru tall grass no taller than to my knees picking these berries. I have a nice worn down path now, makes it more comfortable now to go picking. I have encounter garter snakes in archery season. I do check my boots when i get to the truck, take them off see if any 2 fang holes in them lol. I don't see any.
CC,

My advice would be don’t bet on a snake moving because you are standing there. Their first defense is their camouflage. Too many stories of people getting hit by putting their hands in places they cannot see.
steelhead125 likes this.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Snakes are venomous not poisonous. I see a lot of them but I'm also looking for them.

Free Madcatter!
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

64 years old. I have seen 1 rattler and that was while scouting on pa game lands. Copperheads probably a couple of dozen over the years. One of my old fishing spots was known for frequent copperhead sightings. It's quite a hike off of an access point and I have not been there for 7 or 8 years.

Only rattler's I have seen lately have been road sightings and that is usually only 1 a year.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 AM

Well, I seen quite a few. Being from NEPA and hunting rocky areas, I usually run into them in turkey season mostly. Saw a few rattlers in early archery. After being the victim of a water moccasin bite in Camp Lejeune, I grew quite a phobia til I kinda beat it over the last few years. If you ever been to Camp Lejeune, you know its full of copperheads, and gigantic baseball headed water moccasins. I can be around them now without killing them. I moved a few rattlers in the last year or so, but its nerve racking and makes my bad blood pressure worse. In early archery, I sneak around and I am careful where I step, because I don't trust my muckers.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahack View Post
Well, I seen quite a few. Being from NEPA and hunting rocky areas, I usually run into them in turkey season mostly. Saw a few rattlers in early archery. After being the victim of a water moccasin bite in Camp Lejeune, I grew quite a phobia til I kinda beat it over the last few years. If you ever been to Camp Lejeune, you know its full of copperheads, and gigantic baseball headed water moccasins. I can be around them now without killing them. I moved a few rattlers in the last year or so, but its nerve racking and makes my bad blood pressure worse. In early archery, I sneak around and I am careful where I step, because I don't trust my muckers.
I hear 'ya with the copperheads at LeJeune. I was at Camp Geiger when we had our first night compass march and they were everywhere. We were not permitted to kill them and some guys got into trouble for popping them with blanks.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in