State stocking rattlers??? - Page 5 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Sage

yeah but what about the stocking truck????

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:33 PM

do you really need a truck ?
why wouldn't a station wagon work?
or a ford focus?
I bet if you gave me one of them cool WWII German motorcycles with a side car I could still plant several hundred rattle snakes out.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage

might work in philly but not in Gods Country

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

I am a fan of all wildlife and can appreciate all species. I really really think rattle snakes are amazing creatures and next year would be interested in going so the Sinnamahoning Rattlesnake Hunt to check it out.

If I found one in the woods on a hike, I certainly would take quite a few pictures, and teach my dog the e-collar fury of messing with snakes.

I can see and jusitfy killing one for the hunt, trophy, and meat. But one only. It is on my bucket list to get a nice rattler some year as I learn more about it.

However, that said, legal or not, if one presented itself regularly in the immediate vicinity of my house or the back/front yard of our cabin - I would somehow capture and relocate it far far away. Way too many children, a fun little dog, and half dozen chickens to constantly fear them getting struck. You could be the most attentive parent ever, outside with your child, 5' away, and they could get struck without you seeing it ahead of time.

That said however, I have went on (2) Copperhead calls (I am THAT neighbor that comes and catches snakes in/around your old neighbors house for her) that ended up being a Milksnake. I wonder how many of these critters have got a fatal attack for looking mildly similar to a Copperhead. I have caught several hundred non-venomous snakes, I saw one Rattlesnake, and have yet to find a Copperhead. I would love to see one some day though.

That said, the idea of stocking them is quite a stretch for me to comprehend. However, in certain places I would not object. Want to dump them in Sproul, ANF, bigger SGL's, etc., do it. They were native to much of the state and much more abundant. Their populations were seriously hurt back in the early 1900's just like the Whitetail Deer. We may not manage animals correctly, but at least PA tries. And is willing to adapt and learn (hence the reason our gamebooks change EVERY SINGLE year lol)
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoman View Post
As you may see from the map, our area is not in the habitat area. However, since the climate has changed considerably over the recent past, it may account for their presence now???????
Climate change has nothing to do with a rattlesnakes range. It is all about habitat and non-glaciated rocky areas.
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle View Post
yeah but what about the stocking truck????
Do the snake hunter guys follow the stock truck when it's doing in-season stockings ??

Do they publish the stocking dates and locations ?? I'd like to follow along and help carry buckets of snakes.

demokraten saugen
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 AM

Not a truck. Break open sacks tossed from a low flying chopper is how the farmer told me he saw it with his own eyes. Keep in mind this info followed the info of the coyote stocking trucks his nieghbor saw. He even went further and said the women who works for the Feds that was live trapping coon for rabies control told him that they move coyotes around as well. Now he also asked her about the snakes as well and yep that's how she said they do it. I politely nodded and replied wow that is something.

Someone gets some video of these things please! Lol A fella claimed he shot 2coyotes that had treed his cat in his yard. That part was at least plausible. It was when he told his coworkers that each yote had an ear tag from 2different insurance companies that I called foul. I told my bud who works with this guy to deliver him a message. "He is a liar, tell him I said so and to bring the tags to work". "Produce the tags and I will offer my chin to his fist and $1000.00 per tag." Never heard another thing about that --.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM
The Man

The fish commission has trained hawks that deliver them. Pretty covert if you ask me. Every so often you see a small one being delivered.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
The fish commission has trained hawks that deliver them. Pretty covert if you ask me. Every so often you see a small one being delivered.
now that I call bull squat on ...
we all know that the hawks are too busy eating stocked pheasants all fall and winter
and stocked trout in spring and summer.

how dumb do you think we are??
next thing you'll tell us is that the hawks are also stocking rats and mice for the snakes

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:53 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedoak View Post
now that I call bull squat on ...
we all know that the hawks are too busy eating stocked pheasants all fall and winter
and stocked trout in spring and summer.

how dumb do you think we are??
next thing you'll tell us is that the hawks are also stocking rats and mice for the snakes

(I didn't think I would need to put a in here).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page