The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community - View Single Post - need to replace my seal-a-meal, suggestions?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
soup1279

need to replace my seal-a-meal, suggestions?

Well, my seal-a-meal that was given to me as a gift from my parents when I bought my house a few years ago has finally quit. I used it heavily the last couple weeks packaging a deer and other tasty items from my hunting and shopping excursions. I guess it was just too much for thing... it's a shame too as it was a gift and I hate throwing away gifts

The heating element, that tape stuff, just quit getting hot so it no longer seals.

I haven't tried taking it apart and the limited research I've done point to just replacing the unit as opposed to trying to fix the problem.

So here is my dilemma, what do I replace it with? The unit gets most of it's use during the winter/fall when we buy most of our stuff in bulk and freeze the veggies from the garden. Couple that up with my increased hunting and it gets a fair amount of use. I'd like something that will hold up nicely to the heavy use but will also last through the 2-3 months of storage in the summer.

The seal-a-meal lasted 3 years with heavy to moderate use for a few months then nothing for a few months... and so on. It had some features we enever used, like the tube to vacu-seal containers....

I'd like something that is reliable but doesn't break the bank either. I'm not trying to be a packing plant or anything. I'd like something that stores easily so size/weight is a restriction as I just don't have that much room.

What do you guys use? Suggestions on brand? I'd like to stay away from the very low end stuff if it can't handle the usage.

Thanks,

Anthony

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome