The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Mount Lebanon Deer Problems Mount

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  btbowhunter56 
#1 ·
#3 ·
As ridiculous as that article is, I saw on the news today that they are discussing using archery hunters to harvest more deer there this fall. Don't know what the particulars of that are though.
Any plan that utilizes hunters as the primary control method is one that I am in favor of.

#4 ·
The ML commissioners just approved the use of a group called White Buffalo to oversee the use of archers to come in and take some deer out during hunting season.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/07/1...eer-population/

MT. LEBANON (KDKA) — Mount Lebanon Commissioners approved with a vote of 4 to 1 moving ahead with a company that will oversee an archery hunt in an effort to attack the deer population.

A company called White Buffalo will set up the hunt.
The company president Tony DeNicola tells KDKA’s David Highfield that hunters will be carefully screened.
He says they’ll use about six with another six hunters as back-up.

DeNicola says they have to stay away from private homes unless they have permission of the homeowner.
Some members of the commission questioned whether enough deer would be killed to actually reduce the population without taking additional measures.

A controversial attempt to control the deer population with rifles earlier this year failed.

Representatives from White Buffalo will attend a commission meeting in September to explain the details of how the hunt will be conducted.

#7 ·
The WCO that got the cull permit for them told them it will not be reissued unless hunters are part of the solution.He spoke about it my sportsmans club.He agreed to it last year because there was not enough time to properly schedule a hunt.

#10 ·
TPlank said:
Good luck finding spots to hunt. Shaded area are within 50 yd safety zone. Map of Mt Lebo
All thats needed are some cooperative property owners and some skilled ethical bow hunters. We hunt around the safety zones in Fox Chapel and do it quite effectively. It's been working there for over 20 years.

#12 ·
Mt Lebanon near Pittsburgh will never be hunting land for hunters. It's an urban area for numerous homes.
And urban areas with numerous homes has many more non hunters than hunters.

A designated area for skilled archers can work. But it's not like regular hunting. It's often a place for harvesting deer, where many living in the area don't like to see harvested deer. But harvesting deer, where deer must be harvested. But it will never an ideal hunting location. That would be an illusion.

#14 ·
dpms said:
Supposedly, White Buffalo is already talking to blocks of landowners who are interested in cooperating.

They want to secure several of these blocks throughout the borough.
When I was in Virginia there was a suburban whitetail management group that I was going to join but didn't because we were going overseas again. What dpms said is exactly what that group did. They worked with the HOAs to get access. Some places were more willing than others, and it usually depended on the number of deer feeding on those expensive landscaping jobs.

Mus42tang is also correct in that it is not hunting as most of us view hunting. It is more like a pest control service. And those participating need to keep that in mind. Also need to keep in mind that shot placement is critical. Couple of arrowed deer end up in the wrong yards and the jig will be up.
If White Buffalo is anything like the group I was talking with, anyone that wants to join and participate should plan on a fairly difficult shooting proficiency test, as well as be able to show a certain amount of previous archery success. Chances are, beginners and those with less than a certain amount of years experience won't be able to join.
These groups only survive by success, by both alleviating the deer problems and by the least amount of PR problems.

#16 ·
Tony300wby said:
They tried the same thing last year. The locals that were against the cull vandalized the traps and distrupted the operation. Why will this year be any different?

Good luck, Tony
While some hunting will occur in green spaces like parks, where the traps were placed last year, the goal is to recruit blocks of private landowners to allow archery hunting. It will be a challenge for sure, but there are folks signing up to allow hunting.

#17 ·
After being involved in a closely regulated suburban bow hunting deer control program for over 20 years, I can tell you that although there are differences, it very quickly evolves from "pest control" to real hunting, at least as far as outsmarting the deer goes. Those deer spend their entire life working around humans and very quickly adapt when they catch on to the fact that humans pose a danger to them. Suburban deer live in a much tighter area and are much more acutely aware of every change or new activity. Just like your dog knows a stranger is, or has been, in the house, these deer know the difference between the homeowner flipping burgers on his back deck and that dark blob in the tree trying to poke holes in them.
Shooting proficiency isn't all thats gonna be needed. They'll need good hunters, not just good shooters.

#18 ·
No doubt, btbowhunter56. I wasn't insinuating that it was anything easy. In fact, some of the guys I talked with made it very clear that what you stated is reality; those deer ain't dumb!
We lived in a farm area in VA, and the deer that hung out in the woods behind us were no different than any other whitetails, even though the seemed to not care about our presence. They'd walk right along the other side of the fence while the kids were out playing, but the minute I crossed that fence and headed for the tree stand it was a different ballgame. They quickly schooled me on who knows those woodlots the best!

The pest control comment comes from the PR side of these hunts. IMO the property owners and HOA boards need to always feel that the hunters are doing a service for them, as in don't hold out for a trophy, shoot the does.

Didn't mean to imply that it's just shooting deer. I've been chasing critters, in all kinds of terrain, for far too long to think killing them is ever easy.

#19 ·
I talked with one of the project managers of the hunt today. They are in the very early stages of interviewing hunters. It was very much an interview. In the end, getting a good group of very dedicated hunters together will be in the best interest of this whole project.

#20 ·
Didn't mean to imply that it's just shooting deer. I've been chasing critters, in all kinds of terrain, for far too long to think killing them is ever easy.
No sweat, all good. And you are 100% correct that "pest control" is exactly the part of the process that needs to be stressed to the non hunting public. My landowners don't usually ask if I got a nice buck, what they ask when I see them is how many dead so far?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.