The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

How much snow on the ground at camp?

12K views 84 replies 43 participants last post by  clermont 
#1 ·
My camp is in Clearfield and I have no idea how much is on the ground.Hoping the roof is OK.

#10 ·
Doubledog said:
Rich, as of last sunday morning 18" was on the ground 5 miles from your place. I think a few more inches fell Sunday afternoon.

Thanks Doug,that's not too bad.That ice and snow layers is what makes it heavy.And thanks for the link goose.That's interesting to see the difference throughout the region.

#14 ·
Don't hafta go up to know there will be
about three feet of drifted snow in driveway
and solid ice in ruts underneath.

Been there, done it in January, February and early March, when I had to go up for a family funeral. It's why I go up in April.

#16 ·
Rich,the bottom strand of my pasture fence in 18" off the ground.This morning the snow was still above it and that's on top of the hill where the snow blows it off.I would say we have every bit of 2 feet of snow pack.Things are starting to cave in.I had some customers lose sheds and carports last week.My kid has been riding a 4 wheeler over the top of the snow without sinking in.

#21 ·
Called my cousin that lives across the valley from camp Sunday or Saturday night. Said there's about two feet generally around the area, with some nasty drifts here and there. NW Tioga, near the Potter and NY lines.

Said it's been one of the coldest winters he can remember, with quite a few double digit subzero nights. Was 25 below up there not long ago.

#23 ·
I'll be heading back up to Cross Fork, Potter County on Friday. I'll have updates over the weekend.

I'm actually more wondering about ice-out on Kettle Creek, and hoping there is no flooding from ice jams. This warm weather (and some roan) is not good for the typical slow melt we need for a safe, non-flooding spring. My place is right along the creek, so this is an annual concern!

#25 ·
Karl Power said:
I'll be heading back up to Cross Fork, Potter County on Friday. I'll have updates over the weekend.

I'm actually more wondering about ice-out on Kettle Creek, and hoping there is no flooding from ice jams. This warm weather (and some roan) is not good for the typical slow melt we need for a safe, non-flooding spring. My place is right along the creek, so this is an annual concern!

With this slow melt I think we'll be OK Karl.What ever happened to global warming?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.