The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Upgrading

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  arrowhead 
#1 ·
I've decided to upgrade to a different XB.
I'm leaning towards the Excal Micro.
Any thoughts?
By the way, my rig is posted in the classifieds for sale if anyone is looking for a nice setup.

#2 ·
I'm sure many will say that they like it, but I've held 2 now.

I am not a very tall person, and I have what I'd consider average length arms.

I felt like it was too short for me. I felt as though I was holding a youth model, and it was almost a chore to get my eye on the scope, and in a good spot on the scope to see clearly.

Never shot one, but that's just my thoughts as a pretty inexperienced Crossbow person.

#3 ·
I have not held or shot a Micro yet. If I were looking at recurves, I think I would stick with the Matrix series in the 355 or 380. Still pretty compact but some more speed than the Micro with hunting weight arrows.

#4 ·
I like the compactness of the Micro. That being said the Matrix series are nice bows too. I have 1 of each. The best thing is to get somewhere where you can shoot them to see what you like the best.

#5 ·
The Micro is compact that is for sure. It's like getting out of a 1970 Monte Carlo (the Matrix) and jumping into a Chevette. (the Micro) The original Excaliburs? Well I guess they would be the Mack trucks of the line...

I really like the Micro though. I would have to say it's my new favorite in the Excalibur line and it's probably the one I would take hunting if I were to buy another recurve for myself. I'm currently using an Excalibur Ibex for my recurve. The Micro is just so small it would fit like a glove all the places I hunt. I can see them working well in the small ground blinds and tight treestands.

#6 ·
Arrowhead, I see that the micro uses very short bolts, would this size , and weight , affect it's lethality on deer?
I'm shooting a 20" bolt now with 125g heads In my Parker.
14" bolts would be quite a bit shorter.

#7 ·
I have a 380, my father has a 405 and I just bought my wife a 335 micro. I love my 380 great bow, but if I had to choose one of those bows for hunting in PA it would be the micro 335.

I chronoed it at 345 FPS with the quills it came with and 100 grain heads. The quill and head weigh 350 grains same as my 18" Bolts for my 380. In fact I shot the quills out of my 380 jut to see if accuracy would be sacrificed, They were hitting good at 80 yards.

The 335 gives up a little speed, it looks like a toy, but it is lighter, quiter (very quite with a little tinkering), much narrowerer, I would feel comfortable taking a 50 yard shot in perfect conditions but 40 yards is slam dunk. To me for a bow in PA that micro is the trick.

Once the weather breaks I hope to write up a full review and do chromos of my 380 and 335, and a Vixen I super charged into a screamer.

Checkster the quills on a micro are 16.5 inches, I have heard people cutting them shorter but factory they are 16.5"

#8 ·
Anzomcik said:
I have a 380, my father has a 405 and I just bought my wife a 335 micro. I love my 380 great bow, but if I had to choose one of those bows for hunting in PA it would be the micro 335.

I chronoed it at 345 FPS with the quills it came with and 100 grain heads. The quill and head weigh 350 grains same as my 18" Bolts for my 380. In fact I shot the quills out of my 380 jut to see if accuracy would be sacrificed, They were hitting good at 80 yards.

The 335 gives up a little speed, it looks like a toy, but it is lighter, quiter (very quite with a little tinkering), much narrowerer, I would feel comfortable taking a 50 yard shot in perfect conditions but 40 yards is slam dunk. To me for a bow in PA that micro is the trick.

Once the weather breaks I hope to write up a full review and do chromos of my 380 and 335, and a Vixen I super charged into a screamer.

Checkster the quills on a micro are 16.5 inches, I have heard people cutting them shorter but factory they are 16.5"
Can't wait to see your full review.

I cut some BEE's to 16". I need to do some more testing, but I like what I saw out of them. 2" blazer vanes with 110 grain inserts.

#10 ·
CHECKSTER said:
Arrowhead, I see that the micro uses very short bolts, would this size , and weight , affect it's lethality on deer?
I'm shooting a 20" bolt now with 125g heads In my Parker.
14" bolts would be quite a bit shorter.
While I still have a bit of testing to do, I think I've pretty much settled on a 15 inch arrow for the Micro. I'm seeing good penetration out to 30 yards and think that they might lose power after that. I have yet to do much shooting through the chrono past the 30 yard mark with it. Still working on it and hoping for a few nice days. Range is covered in snow at the moment. We got pounded last night.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.