The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

HELP IF YOU CAN - Arrow Rest Issue

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  icmeinu2 
#1 ·
I shoot the Trophy Ridge Revolution rest; I've noticed there's one vane on my arrows that have this black streak on them. Doesn't appear to affect shot placement but with a drop away rest, I'm sure this isn't supposed to be. This week I re did the fletching on my arrows (10 of them) took 4 and did some shooting and noticed after only about 4 shots there was that mark. I'm clueless as to what it could be. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully the pics will help. In the first pic you can see the mark on the orange vane. I'm in the process of taking off that horrible felt, don't like the way it lays. The bow is a G5 Quest Rogue (2012 model)

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
the advice you got above is very good. turning the cock vane may likely fix your issue. is there a way to tune the timing of that rest with the cord placement on the cable? if it isn't the cock vane, i'd suspect timing of the rest dropping. sorry, best i can offer without the bow in my hands.

#4 ·
When I initially set it up I started out with the clock vane up. Problem was the vane was clipping the riser. I'll try the powder trick. And I'll also try again with cook vane up. Will let you guys know the outcome either way. I'm also going to shoot an email to trophy Ridge and see what I get from them.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I also have a Quest Rogue, and I'd be willing to bet the vanes are rubbing one of the cable strings and not the rest. Turn the cock vane up like others have said, but then look directly down the arrow from the string and see if it looks like the vane closest to the cables has clearance. The pro at the shop who set me up showed me how the Rogue cables don't have alot of clearance from the arrow vanes. All you have to do is turn the nock slightly so that the cock vane is more at like a 45 degree angle then straight up and down, and the vanes will clear the cables. I'll try to take a pic of my setup later to explain it better.

#7 ·
Like others have said, I would try cock vane up and even turn it about a 1/4 inch cock vane toward the riser to give you more clearance from your cable and riser. Then I would walk back tune it at 20, 30, and 40 yards just to make sure your rest doesn't need to come out away from the riser. Also your rest looks a tad low to me, with the rest in the up position your arrow should be level and close to centered on your berger button hole.

#8 ·
PhiPatch074 said:
I also have a Quest Rogue, and I'd be willing to bet the vanes are rubbing one of the cable strings and not the rest. Turn the cock vane up like others have said, but then look directly down the arrow from the string and see if it looks like the vane closest to the cables has clearance. The pro at the shop who set me up showed me how the Rogue cables don't have alot of clearance from the arrow vanes. All you have to do is turn the nock slightly so that the cock vane is more at like a 45 degree angle then straight up and down, and the vanes will clear the cables. I'll try to take a pic of my setup later to explain it better.
I couldn't remember what it was the vane was hitting (over 50 memory issue, lol) I'll check position of everything as you said as well as check relationship of arrow to Berger hole position. I learned something today I must say, had to look up what the Berger hole was. I'll let y'all know the results later today.

Thanks a bunch!

#9 ·
Checked position of the arrow on the rest in regard to the Berger hole, looks to be ok

Checked vane position like it was suggested, turning the cock vane to about 11:00, have clearance from the cables, not enough time for powder check today. Will hit that tomorrow.

Thanks again

#10 ·
#13 ·
Sounds like you have it all worked out, but if your still running into clearance issues and everything else is good (ie rest timing, center shot etc). You can try a lower profile vane. I have a chill and its setup just like yours where the cables are pretty close and come into contact w/ the fletching. I had 2 choices 1) turn the cockvane to 1 o'clock or shoot a low profile vane.

#14 ·
I had asked about using a lower profile vane for my Rogue instead of twisting the nock for clearance, and the pro at the shop told me that with the speed of today's bows, there is much less time for the vanes to stabilize the arrow in fight, and the lower profile vanes don't do it as efficiently as the blazer type. Sort of made sense but I'm sure most could get away with the lower profile vanes with no issues unless you're truly throwing your arrow 300+. I imagine I'm much lower than that shooting a 28" draw at 56 lbs.

#16 ·
PhiPatch074 said:
I had asked about using a lower profile vane for my Rogue instead of twisting the nock for clearance, and the pro at the shop told me that with the speed of today's bows, there is much less time for the vanes to stabilize the arrow in fight, and the lower profile vanes don't do it as efficiently as the blazer type. Sort of made sense but I'm sure most could get away with the lower profile vanes with no issues unless you're truly throwing your arrow 300+. I imagine I'm much lower than that shooting a 28" draw at 56 lbs.
Thanks, well after coming home and shooting the bow there's still a clearance issue, there's not much to refer to online because the rest is so new, but in finding out there may be a timing or spring issue, not sure which. Anyway I'm gonna try the vane at 1:00, I had it at 11:00, and see what happens see what happens (powder check) I like this rest, but the 3 arrows I used now have a wrinkled vane. I'll use others I haven't shot. the outcome will dictate a trip back to bass pro or not. I'll report back tomorrow.

#19 ·
PhiPatch074 said:
Sounds like someone didn't want to confuse the issue with facts. There are a lot of shooters shooting much faster than 300fps using low profile vanes, i.e. X2's, Miniblazers, and foils. Higher profile vanes will correct poor arrow flight quicker than low profile vanes, but if you have poor arrow flight, why not fix the problem with good tuning and then it won't matter which vane you use. Proper tuning takes time and patience, 2 things that sometimes are lacking in todays society.

#20 ·
Wound up going to Bass Pro because I had some stuff I needed to return, so I figured might as well take the bow along. Long story short, the tech who worked on it seemed knowledgeable enough, I don't think anyone has a lot of expertise with this rest being as new as it is. I wound up leaving it there. Worse case scenario I'll return it for something else, since that's where I bought it. But I'd really like to get it right and keep it. (I like the rest) And I'm of the thought that Hittingguru stated. If I get it properly tuned I'll be much better off. When I find out the issue, I'll report back.

Thanks again

#21 ·
I went to Bass Pro and wound up buying the G5 Cmax rest. Long story short, after 3 trips back to Bass Pro because of clearance issues with that rest. I gave up on it and purchased a QAD ultrarest HDX. Haven't had time to shoot it other than the few shots I took after it was mounted.

As Paul Harvey used to say,
"and that is the end of the story"

or something like that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.