flatheads in the Juniata - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

flatheads in the Juniata

I saw two flatheads caught just below Newton Hamilton on the Juniata river this weekend. I didn't know they were up this far. Anyone else catching any on the Juniata.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good luck. I've been trying to find out if anyone has caught any below the Kinzua Dam for awhile now.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 AM

Majik Man, they are definitely as far north as Oil City...I know the dam is still a ways up river....but, not far fetched for them to be up there. In the upper Allegheny, they are found in the deeper areas of river.

I don't know if you'll find 30+lb fish up that far..but I'd bet you'd find smaller ones....they seem to be ever expanding and it seems like the newer generations are growing much quicker than the fish did 15 years ago... at least in the Ohio and out east in the Susquehanna. They say the Ohio has been cleaning up and that's whats allowing the fish to grow quicker..

They are in more places than people realize.

Unlike channel cats and bullheads, they typically won't hit stink baits, liver, soap, hot dogs etc. Fresh cut bait or live bait for flatheads...which is why you don't see many as accidental catches.

Their appetite is usually big. That is an average-large sized bluegill stuck in it's mouth. My hook actually never made contact..it stayed in the live bluegill and was lodged hard enough to endure the fight.

Panfish, suckers, big creek chubs etc work well.

I caught my first, about that size, on a couple big night crawlers...that was a good 15 years ago...I've been addicted ever since...that's really the only fish I Target now... everything else is bait lol.

Best way to see if they are around is to go fish for them. They can be frustrating. Right now they are on spawn and extremely difficult to catch..it's starting to tail off and fishing is picking up by the day. Couple more weeks and it'll be better... april-may and Sept-oct are probably the best months. The spawn lasts around 6 weeks. Obviously not every fish spawns at the same time..but after the spawning activities, the males guard the nests and keep the fry safe a good while..

Post spawn fish are usually best up pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Part of the Community

We have been catching them for the last 3 to 4 years just down river from you in Juniata County. I heard of one caught up your way that was 30 # this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page