WD 40 on hot dogs for catfish? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
a guy around here that was known as catfish charlie would use spoiled shrimp and go at night. he would place the shrimp on a cookie sheet with screen over the top and lay them out in the sun for days. he would win every catfish contest i ever heard about around here.
I used fresh shrimp for years for catfish. It was real cheap and a great bait. We bought it at the market and headed to the creek.

Now I wouldn't think about putting shrimp on anything but a plate.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Little pieces of raw shrimp work good for trout too!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Administrator

When I had my petstore I sold a lot of freeze dried krill (Yes, the stuff whales eat) to fishermen. I stocked it for the aquarium fish, but once the fishing seasons opened I sold a lot more for bait.

MAGA 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage

How did they keep those tiny things on the hook?

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Many years ago I was fishing for steelhead and browns at a popular NY tributary to Lake Ontario. This old guy was out catching everyone by a lot. I started watching him and noticed after every fish he would put on a new egg sac and spray it with WD40. I started talking to the guy and he told me he used it for all types of fishing. He let us use his WD40 and our catch rate increased. I've used it a lot since. Like spraying bucktails with it for fluke, stripers and blues.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM

GHH. how the fishing go down in Ross Run on Saturday. Good turnout for the kids.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
When I had my petstore I sold a lot of freeze dried krill (Yes, the stuff whales eat) to fishermen. I stocked it for the aquarium fish, but once the fishing seasons opened I sold a lot more for bait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
How did they keep those tiny things on the hook?
You're probably confusing krill with plankton. Plankton can be microscopic, but I've also seen some that were half the dimensions of a book match. The krill I was getting was just slightly smaller than what supermarkets sell as "100 count Salad Shrimp" and suitable to fit onto a size 6 hook. the fishermen were reconstituting them by putting them in a container with some water for a few minutes so they wouldnt just crumble when they were threading them onto the hook.

MAGA 2020
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:16 AM
Sage

OK, I thought krill was very tiny like sea monkeys.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man View Post
WD-40 is an oil based lubricant.... though it does work on many species of fish: Bass, Catfish, Pike, even Walleye ( I know from experience )... It is also illegal to use in some states as it contaminates the water. I'd check regulations before getting caught using it !

fish oil to be exact... if you google the WD 40 story... it was marketed after a fail product for another use...
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:18 PM

From WD-40 myths + legends page.

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page