Susky Cats? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Susky Cats?

Ive been doing some smallmouth fishing on the susky of late but the rocks are a real issue where i have been puttin in i almost cant use my outboard motor is a 20hp mercury very new and finding any kind of a guard for it has been impossible no one makes anything that fits it. So more less use the trolling motor but i want to find a deep place to fish the reason we have trouble is near liverpool there is so many rock ledges that crop up in the more less 4' deep channel so running my motor is not an option but anyway I have been wanting to get out catfishing and as far as eating them goes i probably wouldnt eat anything from below harrisburg but i enjoy fishing for the sport and was wondering is there anywhere on the river that would be good for channel or flatheads that i can actually use my boat. I saw below the york dam someone was fishing there for channels is there a actual site that shows water tables so i can see where the water level is more then 2' beause my boat is a semi v lowe 16' and my outboard sits about 8" lower then that bottom of the boat so i can only run in about 2' min but i would prefer not to risk it at all.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Google
USGS real time water data for Pa. also there is a # to call 888-881-7555
It will give you the water levels of the Different bodies of water.
But that won't do you much good if you don't know what a particular water level is like in that area.
I've been fishing Liverpool area for years.
Most of the summer and fall your vessel won't matchup well with that area.
I fish out of a 12' John, with a 6HP motor or electric.
I use the Sunbury level to determine what the Liverpool area will be like.
If it's 8.5' to 9.25' I can run all over with the Gas Motor.
Below 8.0' I'll know be bumping Rocks. Below 7.0' I'm pretty much restricetd to doing a float.
Plenty of Catfish from Liverpool down to Duncannon.
Most of the boats fishing that area are either Jets, Airboats, Kayaks or a set up like mine.
Feel free to PM me for any other Questions.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM
New Arrival

As you go farther south, there are more options available to you with a prop motor. Across from York Haven Dam on the East shore side, there is a public ramp at Falmouth. It's always deep here to run a motor in the channel area. Look it over on google maps. There is also a pay-ramp on the east shore side by the turnpike bridge. You have to go to the Steelton Boro Building a buy a day-pass to launch a boat ($5). You can buy a pass for a future date. The Steelton ramp puts you near the deep water all around the turnpike bridge. Both of these locations are good when the Harrisburg gauge is between 3.5 & 4.5ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Don't forget about city island some good cat fishing after dark.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller17015 View Post
Ive been doing some smallmouth fishing on the susky of late but the rocks are a real issue where i have been puttin in i almost cant use my outboard motor is a 20hp mercury very new and finding any kind of a guard for it has been impossible no one makes anything that fits it. So more less use the trolling motor but i want to find a deep place to fish the reason we have trouble is near liverpool there is so many rock ledges that crop up in the more less 4' deep channel so running my motor is not an option but anyway I have been wanting to get out catfishing and as far as eating them goes i probably wouldnt eat anything from below harrisburg but i enjoy fishing for the sport and was wondering is there anywhere on the river that would be good for channel or flatheads that i can actually use my boat. I saw below the york dam someone was fishing there for channels is there a actual site that shows water tables so i can see where the water level is more then 2' beause my boat is a semi v lowe 16' and my outboard sits about 8" lower then that bottom of the boat so i can only run in about 2' min but i would prefer not to risk it at all.
Put a Mac River Prop Guard on my 25 Johnson several years ago & it has performed well in the rocks below Conowingo Hydro Plan(Lower Susky) and the prop eating Chincoteague oyster beds. Boat is a Lund 16' SSV. Beore prop guard I was lucky to get a trip where I wasn't doing prop damage.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page