Any advice for a newbie knifemaker? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Any advice for a newbie knifemaker?

Hi guys, I have a growing fascination with knife making but I haven't made any yet. I want to try and make one this winter but want to get some advice before I start. So my primary question is what steel should i use for my first attempt at making a knife? I know you should start out with a small blade the first time but I want a knife for cutting up bait fish when I am catfishing in the boat. This would require a 5 to 6 inch blade but it doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out perfect as it is just getting used for dirty work. My goal is to start with a piece of flat bar and use the stock removal method to shape it. I would also like to heat treat it myself. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 09:47 PM

RossR is the person to help you, he is very talented individual
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcp Hunter View Post
Hi guys, I have a growing fascination with knife making but I haven't made any yet. I want to try and make one this winter but want to get some advice before I start. So my primary question is what steel should i use for my first attempt at making a knife? I know you should start out with a small blade the first time but I want a knife for cutting up bait fish when I am catfishing in the boat. This would require a 5 to 6 inch blade but it doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out perfect as it is just getting used for dirty work. My goal is to start with a piece of flat bar and use the stock removal method to shape it. I would also like to heat treat it myself. Thanks for the input.
5160 is a good steel very forgiving in forging, stock removal and heat treating. Do some research and give it a try. Take your time. Don't try any exotic steels till you are more experienced. Good luck and be Safe.

camp in A.N.F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:38 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

PCP, wher eare you located?

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'm between Lancaster and Harrisburg. Thanks for the suggestion Blacksmith.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcp Hunter View Post
I'm between Lancaster and Harrisburg. Thanks for the suggestion Blacksmith.
Check out Underhill forge in middletown. J's classes are pretty popular and hes a super nice guy. You can book a class and make a knife in a day. Some people might think that the prices are alot but I forge all the time and a well taught class by an expert is worth the savings in frustration and fuel alone.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
RossR is the person to help you, he is very talented individual
Kind words thank you Northern.

Ok Making a knife. We have several guys on here who make them and have plenty of talent . I see several of them have chimed in . Birdog has probably forgot more about knife making at this point then I will ever know and early on he encouraged me and taught me a lot and he still happily answers my questions when they come up. If you can find someone to take a class with or show you some things it will decrease the learning curve. That being said there are lots of avenues to learn on line and find lots of info. I am not very active on the knife forums much anymore but there always were lots of helpful folks on there.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/133...-old-file.html

The pictures are gone but that is a tutorial we all chimed in on for making a knife out of an old file.

I personally use o-1 Tool steel for stock removal knives. The stock is precsion ground and then i can shape the blade and grind the bevels . I got used to it and I can heat treat it in my forge . 1084, 1095 are also carbon steels many use . 5160 as mentioned above too. Old hay rake times, old coil springs if you want to forge them. The list goes on and on.

Biggest thing is have some fun with it and learn something! Be proud of what you create and know that each time you make one it will get a bit better.

Lastly I dont know if you are an adult or under 18. if you are under 18 of course check with your folks before starting out. Saftey regardless of age is very important.

Post some pics of your knife making journey I am sure we would love to see it!

Ross
NorthernPotterCo likes this.

Last edited by RossR; 11-12-2019 at 10:41 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM

RossR you`re welcome
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just do it...… if it turns out to be a turd, do it again.....and again and again.
Lotsa folks want to want to make a knife and most of them don't . So just … do it! You'll learn things about yourself you didn't know or forgot.
That being said, Ross used to grind bevels with an angle grinder and did a great job of it! Draw filing a knife does not take a long time providing you have a good file and sturdy workrest.
Keep it simple..... As said above , start with a 10xx series steel or 5160. They are very forgiving in the heat treat and don't work harden much.
And.... ask questions.

A gun will get you thru times of no money better than money will get you thru times of no gun.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to be a bit spoiled as far as tools go. I own a mechanic shop and have a lot of tools that will make things easier. I was thinking about buying a premade knife blade and just adding my own handle scales to see how it goes first. I dont think I will get anything started until after hunting seasons are over and I have more time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page