72 years old and just can't ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

72 years old and just can't !

I have tried but sharpening a knife is one thing that I have never been able to do !
I have the stone things and the crock things but just end up pulling a blade thru one of those pull thru gizmos!

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Patience my GrandPaPa would say. When he got done sharpening a knife, It would shave the hair off your arm. ME! Well how many butter knives do you want? Those " gizmos " sharpeners work!
willyp likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:22 AM

My dad sharpened knives using Arkansas stones.
My father in law used a Crock Stick to sharpen knives.

The knives that either of them sharpened came out like razor blades.

Whatever it takes.
Buckskin Dave likes this.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage

I have a 3 sided butcher's oil bath stone that is a little over a foot long, coarse, medium and fine stones. You can get a long stroke on a long stone and that makes it easier. The key is to hold the angle on the stroke.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage

The "pull through gizmos" are outstanding if you get a higher quality professional line not a WallyMarter:

Whip and bigguy54 like this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:13 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Give me a good wet stone, a few drops of oil or water, which ever one your using on that stone, a piece of leather and Ill get your knife hair popping sharp. My wife says I make the kitchen knives to sharp. But, having said that, it's got to be decent steel or your wasting your time. Old carbon steel blades are the easiest to sharpen but must be touched up more often. Some stainless, like what buck knives or victronox uses is harder and therefore takes a bit more work to put a good edge on but once its there it stays awhile. Some of the cheaper tactical looking walmart lock blades just ain't going to take and hold a good edge. Lousy steel. Better off pitching it and buying another. Or better yet don't buy them at all.

I don't like the drag through gizmos. They do work I'll agree but I think they remove to much steel in a sharpening to get the same edge I can.

Willyp don't feel to bad. My son, all his friends, my son in law, his brothers, my neighbors, all end up with a wire edge or no edge when they sharpen so they bring their knives, and axes to me. I don't mind doing it for them. Something to do in the evening.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Sage

I also finish by stropping the blade on a Barber strop I hooked to the wall behind my work bench, It has a course cloth side as well as the leather side, I use both sides.
bigguy54 and 325wsm like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Sage

My daughter while in her six months chef internship training at Oceanaire Seafood in Baltimore turned me on to the Chef's Choice Commercial sharpener line. They also used a Wusthof steel for quick touch-ups. Her culinary team filleted on average 50 fish per day plus did a lot of beef cuts. Now she just laughs when watching ole dad fillet a fish!! lol

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 09:58 AM

My father could sharpen anything and spent a lot of time whittling and make things from wood. He sharpened saws for the local carpenters, scissors, straight razors and knives for the neighborhood. He used 3 different stones and a leather strap for knives and razors. I guess I never learned the true art because he never let any of my knives get dull.

I currently use a Chef's Choice sharpener on the kitchen knives which is acceptable and steel on my hunting knives and they become acceptable. I have one knife that I have used to field dress deer for years and about three I use for skinning and butchering. I put a little more effort into those with a stone and use a steel to touch them up while in use.

I was just looking on the internet last night for a leather strap as I would like to improve my honing skills.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM

I can do it but always took off way to much material. Now I just go down to the marina each spring with a bag full of my bait cutting and filet knives and get the guys at the fish market to sharpen them up for me
I find the knives last me a lot longer, but part of the problem is to start with good quality knives.

If Jersey keeps increasing the size limits and decreasing the catch limits pretty soon I wont ever need to get my knives sharpened again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page