72 years old and just can't ! - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
My father could sharpen anything and spent a lot of time whittling and make things from wood. He sharpened saws for the local carpenters, scissors, straight razors and knives for the neighborhood. He used 3 different stones and a leather strap for knives and razors. I guess I never learned the true art because he never let any of my knives get dull.

I currently use a Chef's Choice sharpener on the kitchen knives which is acceptable and steel on my hunting knives and they become acceptable. I have one knife that I have used to field dress deer for years and about three I use for skinning and butchering. I put a little more effort into those with a stone and use a steel to touch them up while in use.

I was just looking on the internet last night for a leather strap as I would like to improve my honing skills.
Look under barber supplies.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM
New Arrival

Send a message via AIM to fender Send a message via MSN to fender Send a message via Yahoo to fender
I received a "Work Shop" sharpener as a gift a couple of years ago. It works great and sets the correct angles
https://www.worksharptools.com/origi...sharpener.html
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM

My pal swears by the Bavarian Edge sharpener.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 01:34 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812 View Post
I can do it but always took off way to much material. Now I just go down to the marina each spring with a bag full of my bait cutting and filet knives and get the guys at the fish market to sharpen them up for me
I find the knives last me a lot longer, but part of the problem is to start with good quality knives.

If Jersey keeps increasing the size limits and decreasing the catch limits pretty soon I wont ever need to get my knives sharpened again.
'Never Fight Your Own Battles When Someone Else Can Do It For You'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page