My first knife ever... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

My first knife ever...

Ok, so after years and years of collecting and being fascinated with knives I finally decided it's time to try and make my own. As I mentioned in my other post, I really want to make a set of four, for my dad, me and my brothers as a gift for our first elk trip together in September. I figured I'd post the progress photos as I move through this process to get feedback as everything I'm doing was learned from watching countless youtube videos. I decided on AEB-L stainless and will be sending the blanks away once finished to have them hardened and tempered. The handles will be a mix of stabilized burl and curly maple. I started last night with making the first blank (below) and will slowly be moving through the rest over the next few months so bear with me if there are some breaks in the updates. If you guys see anything I'm doing wrong please let me know lol.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>

Last edited by Bearklr; 05-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Looks very nice. Now getting the grinds on both sides to match take your time when grinding be safe good luck. Thanks and be safe

camp in A.N.F.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well blacksmith, that was my biggest fear and last night I decided to give it a shot. After I started I quickly realized that with the width of the knife and the thickness of the blade that the bevels were coming almost the whole way up the blade. After seeing this I thought to myself "why not just bevel the full width of the blade", that way it would look like one piece of smooth steel instead of actually seeing where the bevel starts. I don't know if this is an acceptable practice so I'm really interested to hear feedback. Here's some pics after I finished grinding in the bevels. I took 10 minutes or so and did a quick sand and polish so I could see the deeper scratches better but this knife hasn't been treated yet. I figure it's be best to get those scratches out and do as much sanding as I could before it's hardened. Any advice, comments or criticism is appreciated.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

So I got the remaining three cut out last night. I like the middle two but the bottom one needs to go on a diet. It's just a little bigger than I'd like for a hunting knife.

blackpowder likes this.

Last edited by Bearklr; 05-30-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearklr View Post
So I got the remaining three cut out last night. I like the middle two but the bottom one needs to go on a diet. It's just a little bigger than I'd like for a hunting knife.

Can't seem to open pictures??? Thanks

camp in A.N.F.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
Can't seem to open pictures??? Thanks

Can you see them now? Google images is terrible and never likes to share images. I switched to Imgur.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:48 PM
The Man

Pics are showing fine. Second from the top is looking great. I like that shape.
blackpowder likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Pics are showing fine. Second from the top is looking great. I like that shape.
Thanks loridr, that's my favorite one. I'm just trying a bunch of different things with the shapes and playing around with them. The bottom one is a lot different now after some grinding. I'm hoping to have them ready for heat treat here shortly and post some more pics.
loridr likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearklr View Post
Thanks loridr, that's my favorite one. I'm just trying a bunch of different things with the shapes and playing around with them. The bottom one is a lot different now after some grinding. I'm hoping to have them ready for heat treat here shortly and post some more pics.
Nothing beats doing it. I have plenty of mistakes but have plenty of nice ones. The ratio is getting better. It is nice that they are not all the same none of my knives are identical. Good Luck. P.S. talk to your heat treat guy about how much stock to leave on edge?? Usually I don't put sharp edge on till done heattreat

camp in A.N.F.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the heads up on that. I wasn't planning on putting any edge on them. I just have the bevels cut in but the edge is still a flat surface.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page